Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" lift ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Mar 31, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

8\" lift ?s

I am thinking about lifting my Burb up to 8"s in the front 10"s in the rear. I have the componets to do the rear. (6" springs 4" blocks), but I would need to buy 8" front springs only. Does anybody know of a company that just sells front springs that are 8"s? Also what would I need to do about steering? I have the steering arm for a 4-6" lift, I would get the pitman arm drop, but anything else? Also how well does the front driveshaft work since its so short? I am geting sick of getting stuck at the lake pulling my boat out, and want more clearance and bigger tires (38+). The lakes are basically a mud hole right now, not fun getting in and out. No I am not cutting the fenders either this is my daily driver.

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Re: 8\" lift ?s

Have you thought about just adding a body lift?

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure any brand of lift will just sell you the front springs.

4. DesertDueler

I am not a real big fan of body lifts, but I might do an ORD 1" body lift. I just figured since I had all the parts to do the rear, why not just get the front stuff.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would use the 4" steering arm and the 3" block between the knuckle and arm. That gives you 7" of correction and is closer than the 6" you'd get with the steering arm and pitman arm.

I refuse to buy a bent draglink.

6. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

there is a set of 8" leaf's on e bay right now. i bought just front leaf's from national tire and wheel. i also would not use a bent drag link. acually i have one and did use it. it lasted a month and had shitty stearing.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Skyjacker and BDS both have the 8" front and rear springs.

I would not try to stack the 4" steering arm with a 3" block under it. Those studs are damn hard to remove.
    I would buy the 6" steering arm from Skyjacker and also the 1.5" pitman arm. I ran this setup on a 3/4 ton truck once. Worked good and flawlessly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

First off, why ten in the rear and eight in the front? I have a 79 K10 with 8" skyjacker springs in the front. I got the PN by callin skyjacker. In the rear I have stock springs with Skyjacker add a leaves, ORD shackle flips, and 4" blocks. My truck sit pretty level on 44" swampers. I cut my fenders pretty good and they only rub when it is REALLY flexed out. I think that you can run 39.5's with 8" and really mild trimming. I ran my t-case dropped 1 1/2" with the factory cv driveshaft clearance ground. Recently I have been having problems with it. I originally ran a dropped drag link (for sale) and dropped pitman arm. Now I have the ORD D60 crossover kit. It is FAR superior to stock steering. I would highly recommend it. What kind of lake are you going to with no boat ramp?

9. DesertDueler

Any of the lakes I go to I dont drop in at the ramp. Most of the lakes here in AZ allow you to frop in on the beach. Not only that the water levels are so far down from not raining that the ramps are about 10 feet away from the water. Most of the lakes are only at 50% capacity /forums/images/icons/frown.gif As for it sitting higher in the rear, thats because I tow with it, and put a bunch of crap in the back so it dits about level when I am done. As it sits right now it is 4" in the front 6" in the rear. I would do crossover, but I just sold my dana 60, and dont want to find the flar rop knuckles and spend all that money when this one isnt for wheeling ya know.

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I see where you are coming from, but I want to know how you tow with that much height. My rear bumper is way to high and even a drop reciever hitch would drag the ass end of a trailer. Try the Skyjacker softride springs. Don't forget the shocks either.

11. DesertDueler

Well, I am going to have to redesign my trail for my boat anyways because as it sits with a 6" lift in the rear and 33" MTs, I have to use a 12" drop hitch, yes 12"s. I hate that becasue it has too much play with it being that low, and it flexs alot. I would like to make it so I only have to use a 8" drop or less, even with lifting it. I may just lift the front to 6" and put 37" SSRs on it, but would like to go bigger. BTW there is a new F-350 Powerstroke Diesel around here that has a 17" lift and 44s and tows a single car trailer around. Its huge, they just redesigned the trailer. Its an auto body shop so they wanted to stand out.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think your definately in the realm of cross overs there. No way would I start stacking offset arms and blocks.

13. DesertDueler

rewrote the post right underneath

Dan

14. DesertDueler

I wouldnt stack a block and an arm. I would do my 4-6" steering arm, 2" drop pitman arm, and if thats not enough then I would do the 2" drop drag link.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I thought the same about the block until I saw it in use. It really isn't all that bad, and with a stud remover, those studs come right out!

Oh yeah, an 8" will not fit 39.5s with minor trimming. My friend's K20 has 8+3 and the fenders cut all the way back to the cab and the tires still rub.

16. DesertDueler

I have trimmed alittle. The 35s rubbed when I left the driveway. I have seen 39.5s with a 8" lift and no rubbing. I was a tow vehicle for a jet boat. I dont know how they didnt rub because they were like an 1" away from the fender, but they didnt.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

These 39.5s were pretty far from where the fenders were cut. They're Boggers (18 wide??). He also has the 3" body. When he took it 'wheeling, the tires ended up caving the fenders in all the way to the cab. They're Superlift springs.

18. DesertDueler

I wont wheel my Burb, thats what I got the Jimmy for right now, until the hybrid gets done.