Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" Lift with 6" Springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

8\" Lift with 6\" Springs

ok so eventually i want to lift my truck 8" to run 37s or 38s...and i dont want 8" springs because they wont flex as well as shorter springs, and probably wont ride all that great...i figure with 6" front springs i have a couple options, give me your opinions..
    6" front springs, 2" front blocks (i know, i know, illegal AND stupid)
    6" front springs, drop the front spring mounts (how far would i have to drop them?)

any other ideas on this??

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Re: 8\" Lift with 6\" Springs

Drop the front spring hangers/mounts. If you want to get two inches of lift, you'll have to drop them about 4". Probably get a piece of 4" square tubing, cut off the front mounts, weld the piece of tubing across to each of the frame horns (will also help re-inforce the frame up front), then attach the mounts to the bottom side of the tubing. I know two people who have done this before, and it turned out really well.

3. Confedneck

thats what i was thinking...and also thinking about capping the ends and welding up a 2" receiver to that mount, along with some of the big shackles for recovery?

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it would be a good point for a front hitch, maybe add a couple re-inforcements where you can.

Also, forgot to add, doing this will also lessen an extreme pinion angle.

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

6. Confedneck

thanks guys...i think i have it figured out now...so maybe in april or may ill get around to doing this and ill post up again with an update lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I run 6in springs and a 2in traction lifts. I get 2 inches of lift that I wanted, kept the softer spring rate plus helping axle wrap. Yeah I know how 80s but if it works it works. Ya cant argue w/ that.

I fabbed my T/Ls to bolt into the pack so you arent just "sticking a block in there". Bolts in like the Zero rates do, plus helping stop axle wrap. It hurts me in flex a bit but not enough to bother me. Noone makes them anymore, but I can make a set up for you.

I could definately feel the difference w/ them on the street, off roads kinda hard to judge since you never get used to any one area.

8. Confedneck

can you send me a picture of what you're talking about? or post one up?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pure Insanity

Look in my Webshots in the RE-Construction album. Theres a few pics of them in here .

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

why not lower both the front and rear ends of the front spring. Then you only need to lower the mounts 2" to get the lift you want. If you did that you could correct that front shackle angle at the same time.

11. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    why not lower both the front and rear ends of the front spring. Then you only need to lower the mounts 2" to get the lift you want. If you did that you could correct that front shackle angle at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually dropping the front 2 inches and using a 2 inch longer shackle would also work. Saves having to work out the shackle pivot being in the frame. A 2 inch longer shackle is fairly common.

12. Confedneck

PI...those look like really long 2" blocks LOL...basically a traction bar (slapper bar)??
    cybrfire-so 2" box tubing up front and 2" longer shackles? so they would negate each other as far as correcting the pinion angle goes? maybe 3" front and 1" longer rear mounts?

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

www.chuckstrucks.net sells a front crossmember with receiver built in. Its probably like 2 1/2" tall, under rockwell parts. Hill shackles are 2" longer than stock. 2" shackles + 2" front mount drops = 2" lift. I wouldn't drop the front mount farther than that. then you have 4" tall things sticking out there to smack stuff with.

14. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    PI...those look like really long 2" blocks LOL...basically a traction bar (slapper bar)??

[/ QUOTE ]Thats pretty much the basic concept. Hey they work and I have flogged the snot out of mine.

Next step for me is a 4 link and coils. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I always wonder about binding on good articulation with TB lift. If I ever go with 6" springs I will drop the front spring mounts, longer shackles, and ford 57" 2" lift springs out back. i don't like the factory front spring mounts, they seem so weak for what they do.

16. Confedneck

PI...thing is im only worried about the ride quality up front, because i plan on a shackle adaptation kit, or home made flip and 57s or custom springs in the rear..

17. Confedneck

sled..i cant find 2" lift 57s anywhere..got a source?

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2 1/2" lift springs I guess they are. I don't have a source. I just put the 4" bds springs on and am doing a homebrewed flip with stock springs so not looking into this stuff yet.

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've never used longer shackles in the front so I can't speak from experiece. I moved my whole axle forward 4 plus inches and moved the rear hanger 5" to correct the angle. I did use ORD's front shackle kit which is a little longer shackle but don't know what effect it had on shackle angle as I didn't do it all by itself. Can somebody post up some pics of the longer shackle.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Steve had the Hills on the UAV back in the day. There is a review in the product review section. I have ORD shackles too.