Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug 10 Bolt Swap information

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by redneckdude, Jan 22, 2005.

1. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Ive been registered on here for a while, and been lookin around here a lot. I know theres a tech article on here about it, but i need to know what all i HAVE to change. I have a 91 K5 with stock axles front and rear. What hubs do i need to look for? Do i HAVE to change my spindles? Wheres a good place to get these parts new? Some of this stuff id like to get new if its not too expensive. Thanks.

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

you need 3/4 ton backing plates, hubs, rotors, the spindles and bearings are the same. the calipers and pads are the same also.

someone correct me if im wrong

3. 86chevybanshee

also i got my hubs and rotors from napa for like 100$ each, backing plates try LMC truck

4. redneckdude

Thanks man. Did you get the hubs and rotors together for 100 per side? If so, i can deff manage that. If the calipers are the same, ill really be in business and happy that i won't have to possibly change my brake lines again. Ill check LMC for the backing plates. Thanks for the help.

5. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Your stock calipers will be fine. New backing plates will be hard to find. Where bouts are you? I know of a shop in Ca. that has a few left.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing you need to change is:

Bearing hubs
    Rotors
    Brake backing plates

The spindles are the same, the calipers are the same, the locking hubs are the same, the wheel bearings are the same.

You just must make sure to get bearing hub assemblies that are for newer internal locking hub design. The older external stuff is different and uses different locking hubs and different spindles.

When you do the swap this is the PERFECT time to change axleshaft ujoints, grease the spindle bearings, grease the wheel bearings, and if necessary (if there is play in them) change the ball joints.

Harley

7. redneckdude

Im in augusta, ga. If you could get a price for those plates id GREATLY appreciate it. i can't really buy much of anything else till the end of the month, but after that, im really gonna try to get these parts together...then on to the 14 bolt FF rear.

Also, part of the reason i want to do this is because i need to get new rotors and don't feel like payin for new ones for a 6 lug...and its a great time to get new, thicker lug studs. Im glad to hear i only need those three things per side.

8. 86chevybanshee

yea it was 100 for one hub/rotor assembly, came with the studs pressed in, and new races

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Keep you eye on the for sale forum, they are in there for $50 alot of times. You dont REALLY need new hubs and backing plates so I would just go to a junkyard and rob the stuuf off a old truck. Alot cheaper than buying it new.

10. redneckdude

Ill keep an eye out in the for sale forum. I need to get off my ass and check out the junk yards around here. I know theres some, just a lil bit of a drive. I don't have to get this stuff soon, since theres so much other stuff i need/want, but i will get it all eventually.

11. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Why don't you buy a complete used axle and use it, or take the parts you need. Should be able to get a complete 8 lug 10 bolt axle for about $100.

12. redneckdude

depending on how cheap backing plates my be, i don't know if its worth saving that little extra money. I can't use the rotors and then id be left with an extra axle that would do me little good...plus its too much of a hassle to get an axle to my house...don't want to put it in the blazer...and i can't get hold of a pickup or trailor very easy...i think ill just pay that little extra...