Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8-lug 15 inch wheels??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Nov 26, 2002.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Stupid question, please bear with me: Can you run 8-lug 15 inch wheels (15x8, backspacing probably 3 1/2 or 3 3/8 inch) on a 10-bolt that's converted to 8-lug and on a 14 sf (drums)?? thanks, michael

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes. You will have to grind the calipers on the front though. Do a search, this has been discussed many times.

Mike

3. jms

Ouch - caught by the SEARCH Police. Can the PROFILE Police be far behind?

Thanks anyway, michael

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that grinding on anything besides a 60 was either unnecessary, or at the very most a case-by-case basis. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have seen several sets of 15 inch 8 lug wheels on either a 10b or D44 front that did not require grinding, and in a variety of offsets.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I had a 3/4 ton 10 bolt axle that I put 15x10 8-luggers on. I had to do quite a bit of grinding to it. My backspacing is around 4".
    It really wasn't that much different doing the grinding on the 60.
    -- Mike

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Evidently the wheels I have seen used have a significantly smaller backspace than 4". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Learn something new on CK5 everyday! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The smaller backspacing makes for less work when installing on 8-lug axles, but pushes the entire wheel out of the wheelwell more. If also increases the stress on the axle itself since it takes the weight of the tire farther from the center of the axis of rotation. No big deal on d60's, but maybe more of a concern with a d44/10bolt.
    -- Mike

8. jms

Any idea which wheel brand/backspacing would fit without grinding? I'm thinking (cheap) steel, not alloys. As for spacing the wheel a bit further out, that might actually improve the scrub radius in my case. I'd be using skinny tires, so the load/stress issue may not be of concern.

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ouch - caught by the SEARCH Police. Can the PROFILE Police be far behind?

Thanks anyway, michael

[/ QUOTE ]

???????????????????? I thought I answered your question???? Why the attitude? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4WPW carries cheap steel wheels the the 15" 8 lug version that have 2 3/4 inch backspacing that will require little to no grinding.

Mike

10. jms

Thanks for answering my question.

BTW, have you noticed that lately everyone who doesn't ask about Rockwells, 44s, or 502 BBC crate motors gets slapped with the "Do a search..." thing?

Thanks also for taking the time to answer my second question about the wheels, I do appreciate the information.

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yep, I have noticed that. I just thought you might get some more detailed info if you dug. I wasn't trying to be smart.

No problem! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

12. jms

I did dig. The info is scattered - that's why I decided to post. And, it seems those wheels you mentioned didn't come up before. They might be the way to go for me, thanks for pointing them out to me.

michael

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BTW, have you noticed that lately everyone who doesn't ask about Rockwells, 44s, or 502 BBC crate motors gets slapped with the "Do a search..." thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly because damn near everything else relating to K5's has been covered ad nauseum. Including the merits of search, and why people don't respond to most posts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Like Mike said, you can run wheels from 4WPW with a small backspacing. I'm running 2.5" backspacing, 15x10 8-lug Rockcrawlers from them and I only had to grind a little on one side where the casting line on the caliper was (this is on a D60). They are $60 each and the PN is 82-5181R2.5 for a white spoke wagon-style wheel. Hope this helps.

Will