Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug conversion and backspacing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Jul 13, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I just converted the passenger side on my 89 Blazer from 6 lug to 8 lug and also put my new wheel/tire combo on. Originally I had 33x12.5r15 tires on 15x10 rims with 4 1/4 inch backspacing. The front tires stuck out from the fenders by about an inch. Now that I've swapped to 8 lug the tires stick out from the fender by 4 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The new tires are 35x12.5r16 mounted on 16x10 rims with 4 1/4 backspacing. After seeing how far the tires stick out I noticed that the wheel mounting surface on the hub/rotor assembly is an inch more with the 3/4 ton than the half ton. Knowing that, then the tires should only stick out by 2 inches not 4. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What am I missing? Those of you who've done this conversion with the same or similar wheel/tire combo, what did you do to keep from getting a fix-it ticket? I got tagged a few yrs ago with only 1 inch past the fender so I know I'll see the gumballs behind me with this setup. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you must have some strict laws cause here in texas you can have them stick out 6" past the fender.

3. spearchucker

I think the cops have nothing better to do than pull people over for stupid things like this. It's really just an excuse for them to stop you and run your license to see if they can get lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Sure your 16's aren't 3.75 bs? Heck I would be screwed in CA. I only have 2.5" bs and very little rear fender/quarter panel to cover it.

5. spearchucker

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure your 16's aren't 3.75 bs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they're 4 1/4. That's what I ordered and I also verified that by putting a straight edge across the back of the rim and measured to the wheel mounting surface. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I'm also positive about how far they stuck out before as compared to now. I placed a straight 2x4 against the bottom and top edge of the tire and measured the distance to the fender lip. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well now I am stumped.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you verified that the wheel mounting surface of the 8-lug hubs is 1" further out than the 6-lug hubs, and that the new rims are the same overall width and BS........there is nothing to make the tire stick out that much further.

The only other thing I can think of is that the new tires are wider....so the rim may stick out the same distance but the tire sticks out more.