Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug conversion for a 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I know there is the article in the tech forum. I read it, and he used all new parts. My question is what parts are really need to do the swap, what parts do I need to find used? I know some parts are reusable, which ones are those? I will get new bearing, races, rotors, and such from Napa, but which parts do I need to find used? Spindles, backing plates, etc? All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Harley

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Rather than try to explain it myself, I'll let this explicit write-up done by "ThatK30Guy" do it all.

"GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

In Estebans case, he has an 86 blazer and found 73 three quarter ton parts. He would need to use the 73 backing plates, spindles, bearing hubs & rotors.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60. "

I couldn't have said it better myself./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Esteban86K5

Wes......if and when you read this, you really need to do that write-up that you were gonna give Steve. i'm getting tired of quoting you./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Ok, so what I am getting out of this is that I need to find is 3/4 ton backing plates from an 81-91 3/4 ton, hub assembly. Is this correct since I am getting new rotors, spindles are interchangeable, I am getting all new bearings, races, seals, and I have hubs. Is this correct, or am I missing something? Thank you.

5. Esteban86K5

Yeah, if you've already got the 8 lug hubs and your getting new rotors, bearings, seals and races, then all you need is the 3/4 ton backing plates. there is a place here in So Cal that has them if for some reason you can't find them. It's actually the same place that Steven Hunt (Waxer) used on his write-up.

6. Hossbaby50

For the hubs I have I meant the locking hubs, but thanks for the info. So all I need to find is the hubs assembly, and the backing plates which is cool. Thanks again.

Harley

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I would like to do it, too, but can't find all the parts I need to do the pics. I'm also cleaning out the place as I have no room to store the trucks. I also don't have use for stuff that I don't need or use anymore.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Wes, shoot me a pm on what you need pics of and I will try to get them over at Rogers the next time I go over there.

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey wes ive got pics of the stuff i got from you...let me know what pics you need and ill send them to you...

Later

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you need pics of the ten bolt parts, let me know, I am doing this swap now.