Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug conversion idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Mar 21, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Has anyone turned 1/8"-3/16" off the diameter of their 8 lug rotors and used 1/2 ton backing plates?Im converting my 44 to 8 lug and before changing to the 3/4 ton backing plates last night I threw on the 8 lug rotors with the 1/2 ton backing plate still on.The rotor almost went on and I could almost bolt up the caliper.If I had more time I would turn down the diameter of the rotor a bit.It seems that if you did this you wouldnt have to grind to get 15" wheels to fit.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm, grind the rotor? Nope never did that/forums/images/icons/wink.gif!
    Can't wait to see your project!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put the front on jack stands, pull the rear shaft, putit in 4H and let the front spin and hit it with a grinder as it spins. We've done it to rear rotors to make them fit on race cars, but probably not recommended on the street.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I wasnt gonna grind them,I was gonna stick them on the lathe and turn them down that way.

If this worked you would not need to find the 3/4 ton backing plates.And if you get rotors and hubs with wheel bearings to match the spindle you have (early or late model spindle) you would not need to buy spindles.You would only need the rotor/hub.

If turning the rotor down worked ,all you would need for the conversion would be the correct hub and rotor for your spindle and a lathe.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Great idea! If it works out let us know! I am needing to convert a 10 blt. Would be cool to not have to grind a bunch.