Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Sep 8, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok so I know to convert my d44 to 8lug...I need the brake backing plates, the hubs and the rotors...is there anything else? and also can I get these outta Non-chevy trucks?? Like Ford or Dodge d44's? or are they different?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with a d44 i think you need the spindles also.

i would get every thing from a chevy, a 10b or d44 will both work and are both the same

3. smprider112

Ya I wish I could find chevy...at the U-pull it there arnt any 3/4 tons....but there is alot of fords so I was hoping they'd work, or dodge.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope... the spindles are the same. Spindles, bearings, lockouts, stub shafts are all the same. You just need baking plates (to prperly position the caliper on the bigger rotor) and the hub/rotor assembly (with the needed 8 lugs). Deminsionally, I think the hub is the same as well just needs to have 8 holes (not that I would consider drilling a 6 lug hub).

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya I wish I could find chevy...at the U-pull it there arnt any 3/4 tons

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you tried the U-pull-it out in sherwood yet? Last time I was there(last month)there were a crap load of 3/4tons in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. smprider112

thats the one I always goto!! they have tons of 3/4 tons...but not 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think the last time I was there prolly 2 weeks ago, they had only 3 1/2ton 4x4's 2 blazers and a k10 longbox....they're front axles where pretty much intact...but who needs 1/2 ton /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I need to hit the one in damascus(SP?) last time I was there they had TONZ of barely picked thru vehicles...of course I was there with my lil brother lookin for mustang stuff so I never got to cruise thru the chevys /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

But I have seen TONZ of ford 3/4 tons and am wondering will there parts work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But I have seen TONZ of ford 3/4 tons and am wondering will there parts work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    To the best of my knowledge....nope

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yes they do. I was gonna do ford rotors, calipers and backing plates on mine but already had GMs coming out my ears. I can't remember what years the stuff is off of though but I know there is a weite up online of a bronco switching to GM 8 lugs... Not a very good reply but it gives ya options,LOL

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope... the spindles are the same. Spindles, bearings, lockouts, stub shafts are all the same. You just need baking plates (to prperly position the caliper on the bigger rotor) and the hub/rotor assembly (with the needed 8 lugs). Deminsionally, I think the hub is the same as well just needs to have 8 holes (not that I would consider drilling a 6 lug hub).

[/ QUOTE ]

No D44 and 10B spindles are't always the same!

1st design D44's used a smaller inner wheel bearing and on 3/4-ton's used external locking hubs.

2nd design D44's (which started around 77) use the same larger inner wheel bearings that 10 bolts use and use an internal locking hub like a regular D44/10B 1/2-ton axle.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My mistake. I was speaking of the modern era axles. I wasn't aware of the differences in the old ones. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif