Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug convertion ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoShow84, Jan 10, 2003.

1. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

i'm looking at doing the 8 lug convertion on my k5 what i need to know is are the backing plate from a 75 and older the same as 76 and newer. because I found a set on a 73 chevy, but I want to be able to use the hubs (lock outs) that I have on my truck now insted of changing to the old style hubs

2. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

U first need to get a set of 8 lug knuckles for what what ever type of axles that you have...... That about it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

4. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I ran across this post when doing a search in the archives. First, what the heck is an "8 lug knuckle"? I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of 10 bolt knuckles, Dana 44 knuckles, Dana 60 knuckles but never an "8 lug knuckle"! I never knew a knuckle had anything to do with lug nuts. Now, what you have effectively done is send this poor guy out on a wild goose chase for something that doesn't exist. Not something I expect from the "information rich" CK5 that we have all grown to love. When doing an 8 lug conversion on a 10 bolt you need the 8 LUG ROTOR/Bearing assembly and yes a new backing plate to compensate for the larger rotor.
    For a complete write up that my help answer this question and others like it, I will refer you to this address: http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml
    The 10 bolt conversion is very similar (you don't need a new spindle for a 10 bolt conversion) and doing a search on the topic will yeild much info.