Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Mar 20, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Got a friend needing a front end to match up to the 14bff. How much would you pay for a D44? or would you put gears in the 10b.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I paid $200 for my 8 lug D44 with 4.10's

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I paid about $170 for my D44 8 lug w/ 4.10's.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I paid $350 for an 8 lug 10 bolt with 4.10's.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I paid $75 for my 8-lug D44 with 4:10's. I put another $300 or so in new parts to make it as good as new. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I paid $300 for a 14 bolt/D44 combo. I put another $300 or so in the D44 with new balljoints, u-joints, rotors, seals, etc.

I would get the D44 if it has the right gears. Re-gearing a 10 bolt and swapping it over to 8-lug could easily be more than the cost of the D44 (especially if you have a shop set up the gears). Strength-wise, they're about even.

7. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

i got a 14 bolt and a 44 for free from a friend. they need to be rebuilt and i have no idea what gears or what truck they came out of.

i have a question about a 79 chevy p/u 3/4 ton. its a full-time 4x4. anybody know if their is anything special about the axles since it was a full-time rig? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anybody know if their is anything special about the axles since it was a full-time rig? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing special about the axles. The front axle will not have locking hubs. Instead, it will have a "slug" that mates the hub to the stub shaft fulltime. The slugs can be removed and a set of locking hubs can be installed. My '77 D44 came out of a fulltime truck and I am using lockouts on it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Those '79 axles are the same year and axle combo (14 bolt/D44) that I've got in my truck now.

The only difference between full-time and part-time axles is the locking part of the hubs in the front axle. In the front axle of a full-time rig, you'll have a "permanent" hub...it's just a big gear. All you have to do is pop off the cover, remove a snapring, and then pull out that large gear. Toss it in your pile of parts because you won't need it anymore. Then, once things are rebuilt, just install some manual, internal locking hubs. You don't have to do anything special to install these.

As for the set of axles you got for free. Pop off the differential covers and post up the numbers you see on the ring-gear (they will be stamped somewhere on the outside of the ring-gear). Post the numbers you see for the front axle and the rear axle and someone here will tell you the gear ratios (and whether they match) and the year of the axles (provided the gear set they have now is what they came with from the factory).

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only difference between full-time and part-time axles is the locking part of the hubs in the front axle. In the front axle of a full-time rig, you'll have a "permanent" hub...it's just a big gear. All you have to do is pop off the cover, remove a snapring, and then pull out that large gear. Toss it in your pile of parts because you won't need it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmmmmmm, what gear are you talking about?

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright...maybe it's not a gear. Call it what you want. It's a big ol' circular metal piece with teeth on the outside that engage in the hub and teeth on the inside that engage on the axleshaft.

Therefore, in my mind: metal thingy with teeth = gear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

dam guys thanks. talk about a quick response. you guys are on it.

i have been cruising these forums for a while now and just became a member not too long ago. i love it. great community.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You have a pic of this gear(for lack of better words). Mine is full time 3/4ton and under that flange with the dust cap is nothing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Jeff, is your D44 internally or externally splined? Mine is internal, and I can take a pic of the slug if you need one.

When I pulled my D44 apart, there was the dust cap, an external c-clip on the stub, the slug, and a spring with a cup to sit against the bearing retainer nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mine is the external....1974 D44, so that must be the diff

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, Jeff, I took your reply to mean that you didn't like that I called it a "gear." /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyways, I just went out and snapped a pic of the stuff I took out of my fulltime D44. Here are the pics: LINK1 LINK2

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine is the external....1974 D44, so that must be the diff

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA! No pun intended, right? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The parts that Steve is showing in his pics are exactly what I had in my '77 D44. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

double post /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

So those parts will not be in the 74 full time external mount D44 will they?

20. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure...I've never torn into an external-hub D44. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Maybe someone else will chime in. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif