Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug disc change question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AussieK5, Nov 11, 2001.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I've got to replace one of my rotors and want to ask for any tips from those who have done it before. Namely are there any probs usually encountered when seperating the disc from the hub. I have to use the truck tomorrow and don't have access to press, if needed, tonight.
    Also any brake gurus, can you see any probs with running a new disc alongside one that has already been machined, I can't think of any myself and anything would be better than running the super undersize one on the truck at the moment (came with it) that pulses because of a step on the shoulder.

<font color=blue>No press needed, just a 3lb unversal tool! Very straight forward job. Less than 1 hour once set up.</font color=blue>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by AussieK5 on 11/12/01 12:47 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hello to the other side of the world!

Well, I haven't messed with an 8 lug before, but it should be pretty much the same as my 6 lug 10bolt, right? Mine are NOT pressed it, but if yours are, I would recommend you wait until you have access to a press.

About running a new disc with an old one, there is no problem, as long as you're using new pads.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Pads are 99%, thanks for the advice......just about to take it for a test drive.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If your pads are not 100%, they may copy the grooves from the old disc to the new one. I don't think you want to ruin the new disc that way, unless of course, youre in a hurry.

Good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The one main thing that you want to be sure of is that you seat the lugs all the way in once you put your new rotors on. This is obviously easier with a press............. Actually now that I think of it. You should have your new rotors turned after you put them on your old hubs to make sure they are true(not sure the proper terminology). Otherwise you could have a wobble in the rotor and that won't be good. As far as one new and one old rotor there isn't a problem.

I am far from a brake guru, but from my experiences this is what I know.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.......I am (read on and it's more like 'was') in a hurry and have to live with any imperfections the 'old' pads bring with them...it's just there to damn expensive down here to justify a new set.
    I was lucky with the disc, the blurb that came with stated the thing had been factory balanced and machined and was good to go out of the box. Just wash of the anti-rust agent.
    Nearly got caught out with the studs and seating them all the way though......a last minute look at the assembly revealed a couple of insolent offenders, never fear they were subdued them with my trusty 3lb'er.
    I am a little bit pissed though, I thought I'd check and repack the bearings on the other side while I was at it. The @#$%^&amp;* moron who had the truck before me had toasted a inner bearing and the hub too. Did he replace the hub, oh no, just the bearing and race. Well the race was sitting in a chewed out hub flopping around and getting ready for another highway spindle munching session. I am steeling myself for a trip to the local chev truck importer (aka He Who Chargers Want He Wants), for an ankle grabbing sesion so I can get mobile tommorrow night.

7. Esteban86K5

FYI-----Mine said the same thing about the rotors being balanced from the factory. The problem comes into effect when you put your hubs on the rotor. If they are not seated perfectly or even if your hbs are off just a fraction it could produce a wobble. I have been told this by several mechanics in my area so that is why I pass it on to you. If you do get a wobble at any speed and can't find it anywhere else remember to check that.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

8. Esteban86K5

One more thing that has been usefull for me is that if you buy the most expensive brake pads you can find and make sure they come with a lifetime warranty you can change your pads for free anytime you want as long as you keep your reciept. I haven't bought a set of new pads for my Blazer since 96 and I replaced them 3 times this year alone.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've changed rotors with a BFH and a brass drift. No press nescesary