Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug pattern on a 15" Wheel --- what to get?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

8 lug pattern on a 15\" Wheel --- what to get?

I'm trying to find a set of steel rims that I can use on a Dana 44 and a Corp 14 keeping with a 15" wheel.

I've called several local places and all they want to do is tell me to go with 16" wheels. I would like to keep the 15" tires because they are a lot cheaper and there are many different sizes available.

Can anyone recommend a decent steel rim that measures 15"x10" in an 8 lug pattern?

Again, this is for a D44 and a 14B, so I don't think any grinding will be needed --- but I'm not opposed to doing it if I have to.

Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Re: 8 lug pattern on a 15\" Wheel --- what to get?

Go to any place that sells wheels, and ask for a steel wheel 15x10, 8 lugs
    There response should be what backspcing would you like !
    Do you want us to do there work, then why do you even go there/call.
    P.s. I here that Americam Racing wheels makes them in the U.S.A.
    Sorry if the U.S.A. is not local for you.

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Call discount tire.I callled the other day and they had white spoke steel rims in 15x10 with 8-lug pattern.I think they wanted like 40 bucks a rim.

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I sorta hate to recommend them, but Stockton Wheel may be the place to go for variety....I had them build a set of 10" Rally's for me about 2 1/2 yrs ago...6 lug stock centers on 10" Bart wheels..they furnished the centers, and it cost me $520 delivered to Dallas....they told me about 4 weeks....took them almost 3 months....I got a variety of excuses, promises and runarounds, but I finally got the wheels.....I just called back to order another set for my other truck, and the cost has gone to $730 delivered...bare steel..........last time they at least primed and painted them......I can have them powdercoated for another $45 each.....I figured for that money, I can buy a set of Mickey Thompsons.......come to think of it......I ain't recommending them....I'm steering you clear of them......I guess I just needed to vent........I do know they have 8 lug 15" wheels in stock probably a lot cheaper.....I just think their service sux out loud.......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

6. Stoopalini

Thanks for all the info guys!

So, I've found about 3 different places I can get these wheels from and my next question is "What backspacing do I need?"

My axles are a 14 B and D44 -- if that makes a difference ....??

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a 14 bolt and a dana 44 with 15" wheels. Mine are American Racing white wagon wheels that I painted black. They are 4" backspacing, they will fit over any 14 bolt drum, but you have to grind the calipers some. Get a high speed 4" grinder and an extra wheel and you'll be fine.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

National Tire and Wheel advertises heavy duty Eaton steel wheels which are available in a 15x10, 8 lug pattern. The standard offset is listed as 3.5" and the painted versions go for around $68/wheel. Special offsets are available for $15/wheel.
    For what backspacing to get, I think 4" would work with some grinding on the 3/4 ton stuff though 3.5" would work better (though still might require some grinding, but probably not as much). 3" spacing might let you get away with little to no grinding (I don't know for sure,though) as typically the less backspacing the wheels have the less grinding required.
    Another factor would be if there is any possibility of going to a Dana 60 front in the future. From what I've heard it requires major grinding to get 4" backspacing to fit.

9. Stoopalini

Thanks again guys. I just made a deal with a local tire carrier ... he's gonna get me 4 brand new white wagon steel wheels 15x10 8 lug AND $100 in trade for a Pentium III CPU, MB, and Case.

Sounds good to me [​IMG]

No idea on the backspacing, but for this price I'll grind away!

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would go with the 4" backspacing, even on the 60. I've seen it done more than once, and it does require a LOT of grinding, but wheels with more (numericaly lower) backspacing increase turning radius, plus the tire sticks out further and then you get pulled over. Also, more backspacing wears out the wheel bearings and ball joints a little faster, especially with larger tires. It's just my completely useless opinion, but if I ever end up with a 60 in the future, I'll keep my 15x10s with the 4" backspacing. Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]