Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug Steelie rim basics and thoughts..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm about to pick up a D60 this week, so I need to start figuring out this among other things...

Cheap steelies which I may wanna beadlock down the road are what I'm looking for.. What are your recommendations? And good vendors?

I looked around briefly and saw the Pro Comp Rockcrawlers, what other choices should I be looking at?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If your gonna beadlock 'em I'd go with 16.5 to avoid the caliper grinding process. I have a set of cheap white spoke wheels I think US Wheel ??? is the brand. I plan on doing the weld on beadlocks from DIY when I get time

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Finding 16.5s should be easy in a j/y. Even new they are like $50. Could even use stock wheels, the kit will widen the wheel some.

4. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

i just got some 16.5 black pro comps from national wheel and tire they were a good deal with my tire package plus they did not have any striping around the the edge of the wheel very minor but i do not like the little pinstrips some steel wheels have around the lip but if your looking for just wheels desert rat has them the cheapest i believe

5. ryoken

desert rat, from here on the forum?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no there is a store called Desert Rat.

Summit has always had the cheapest price on standard steel wheels in my experience. 15, 16, 16.5, and 17s, they all seem to be the cheapest on Summit. Would be perfect for weld on bealock upgrade.

Why would he need 16.5s? 16s will fit on a Dana 60 no problem. You only need to grind to fit 15s.

7. ryoken

let me ask ya this...

whats the deal with the 3/4 ton brake brackets for the 60's? is it the same braking capability as 1 ton calipers? I'd love to run 15's and a fair amount of backspacing..

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no its NOT the same amount of braking power. The 1 ton calipers are simply larger, applying more braking force.

For a K5, 3/4 ton front calipers should get the job done. What are you doing for the rear? What tire size you headed to?

9. ryoken

discs in rear, standard 3/4 ton calipers, gonna run the pinion brake off the 205..

36 x 13.50 Iroks.. may go a tad bigger next time...

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh what? you mean you are going to run a 205 parking brake? or plan to use that as your service brakes?

11. ryoken

parking, sorry for not being clearer...

12. ryoken

And I also meant standard 3/4 ton front calipers on the back... I'm more than willing to keep the 1 ton calipers up front and run 16's... I'm just getting ideas together in case the brake parts are shot up front.. gonna go over the whole 60 anyway..

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you can avoid it 16.5's are the worst tires for beadlocks. the way the bead and the rims are designed is not setup for locks. they both are tapered where they meet. 15, 16, or 17 inch tires and wheels have squared off beads and seats. most rims will also have a small internal hump that works like a lock. if you let all the air out of a 16.5 the bead will break without any outside force. a 15, 16, or 17 will require work to break the bead. If you haven't bought the rims or tires yet call the beadlock manufacturers and get their input. they will confirm what I am saying.

14. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Not sure what backspacing your wanting to run, but if you want to run 15's, you can do 2.5" backspacing and looks like on mine you would just need to grind a lil off the edge of the caliper. My calipers were already ground for 15's. Its really not hard to grind them to fit 15's. Just takes a lil time and a good grinder.

Summit by far had the best price on steelies that i found...

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have you condsidered 17" rims. I will admit you better like IROKs though cause although its getting better there still is only a small selection for 17" rims now.