Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug swap?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by thezentree, Jan 4, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my newest pipe dream for my yukon involves a 14 bolt FF rear end and maybe a 4" lift. anyway, is it possible to swap the front to 8 lug? im not talkin about a 3/4 ton front end, just the lug pattern and maybe brakes. i had the wheel off today, and it looks like i'd need to go to a different knuckle if i was to run bigger rotors. will a 3/4 ton knuckle work here, so i could run 3/4 ton brakes?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another option is to find one of the late-80's 6-lug 3/4-ton trucks that have a 14-bolt SF. It's way more stout than the 10-bolt and you get to keep all your 6-lug stuff. :) I just did the swap on our '94 Sub after stumbling across one of the 14-bolt SF's in a junkyard (I wasn't even looking for one!) While it's still a single floater, the axle shafts are WAY beefier than the 10-bolt shafts! :cool1:

3. thezentree

yea, ive considered that, and while i may still do that, i want bigger brakes up front, and i figured that if 3/4 stuff would bolt up, then that would be cool.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you're just looking for better brakes Stainless Steel Brake Corp. and I'm sure there are others, make a brake upgrade kit. Not sure on the cost, but I'd imagine it would be better then getting new knuckles, hub/bearing assy., and rotors. Plus I don't know if the halfshafts are the same size and spline count either.
    I agree wit the 14B SF for the rear. I run this in my sub, and has held up great.

5. thezentree

That's looking like it might be easier. Most GM rear axles are about 3" narrower than the front (except for van-width and DRW axles), correct? If thats the case, then maybe a 14BFF and 8 to 6 lug spacer would be the ticket. I figure if I'm gonna do an axle swap, I might as well go ahead and swap in a 14BFF if these ideas that I come up with are actually viable.

6. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

why don't you go with the 14bolt SF and detroit. keep the turning radius you have and get a set up thats the next best thing to a FF just 6lug. other wise make the leap to 14bFF and do a SAS D60. you're walking on the verge of bad to bad a$$. oh and don't pass off a 10bolt as too weak. with moly shafts, locker, gearing, and dics brakes it's very strong and gives you more ground clearence. basically it's whats gonna fit your budget, needs, and most of all wants.

believe me, i did the whole 38's and IFS, not pretty. so now i'm doing the wants and 2 years down the tubes for off-roading the beast w/ the new SAS D60, corp14, np205, 38's(w/ no rims), and the list goes on.

7. thezentree

moly shafts and gears would cost as much as a stock 14 bolt SF. i just wish i had about $6k....