Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug to 6 lug adapters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Dec 24, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a company that makes a set. I want to stay 6 lug, but put a 14 ff in it.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can convert the the FF to 6 Lug, PM TonyP he's doing on for his K5 right now.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I think he wants to go to the D60 front later so he would have to convert that to 6 lug or convert the 14bff back to 8 lug.

4. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

wheels!! $$ 8 lug 15 " wheels

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Harley is right, it will get a dana 60 up front sooner or later. Thats why I want to do adapters. but if they arent out there, then I guess I will start looking for 3/4 outers for now, so try and find another 60.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

chassis tech supposedly makes 8 lug to 6 lug adapters, but there is no pic, so I'll believe it when I see it. I think the site is www.justadapters.com

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

They are like 80 bucks apiece why would you want to spend that when you can get 2 rims for like a 100.. Just a thought.

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know more about this adapter 8 to 6 lug. If you upgrade the rear to a FF, you won't want to have 2 rims in back that are 8 and 2 rims in fromt that are 6. I couldn't get anything on the justadapers link.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I believe TonyP's setup would allow you to return the 14 bolt back to 8-lug just by pressing the lub bolts back out should you get a Dana 60 up front. It would also help match front and rear axle widths. There's no doubt about it, having to bring along 2 spares when your front and rear axles have different bolt patterns would not be fun.

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've got a set that will convert the 8 lug to 6 lug bolt pattern, it allows you to keep your 8 lug pattern for when you find that golden Dana 60.
    I can't find the $1000.00 for the Dana or the new rims and tires, and I don't want to have 2 tires hanging on my truck somewhere. I could make them out of alum 1" wide or steel 1/2" wide...

11. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What kind of money are we talking about for you to make me a pair of them? I'm not sure what would be better, aluminum or steel. Any advantages either way?

12. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

Yea how much are we talkin /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, cuz thats exactly what i need! I bought a 14b FF and really wanna keep the rims i have now.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the alum will move your tire out 1" where the steel is only 1/2" of movement. both will do the same job..

14. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I think there is a lot of interest in these adapters. We just need some cost numbers! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    And the thing is, not that a set of 8 lug wheels are expensive, its that I have 2 sets of 15" wheels and tires. One set is a cheap steel set of whites but they have 35" TSL Sxs on them, the other is a set of steel wheels that I looked for 3 months to find, not real high dollor, with 35" radial muds on them. The hassle of selling 2 sets of 15" tires, selling 2 sets of 15" wheels, buying new tires (2 sets), and buying wheels that are ugly! Hehe. Its worth the extra for adapters I think. Sp TonyP, give us an idea of prices please!

Mike

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

You would have to find a machine shop to turn down the hub and axles.

Turn down axle and hub to 4-5/16”inch, then the ring and 6 lug rim will fit.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd be interested just cause 6 lug wheels are a dime a dozen...plus I could keep my 3/4 tons and possibly get aluminum wheels if they'd clear my brakes.

The cool thing is if you had them in the back and had a 6 lug front, the wheel tracks would match.

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Thing you need to have done to make this work.

1- Outside hub dia.(where rims goes over the hub) will have to be turned down to 4-5/16” inch

2- Axle outside plate will be turned down to 4-5/16”inch

This would have to be done by a machine shop with a lathe and you would tell them the tolerance is +/- 1/16”inch.
    This would be the limiting factor for smoeguys, but if you can get this done then the adapter ring would be the wat to go... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is what I've made up.....

[​IMG]

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats one hell-of-a peice of work Tony. I'm dying to see how the steel one comes out!

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that the 4-5/16" is for aftermarket wheels. Factory wheels have a smaller center hole. Aftermarket wheels have a larger center hole to fit yota's as well.