Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 lug wheels, 15" rims and 3/4 ton axles, will it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 17, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

8 lug wheels, 15\" rims and 3/4 ton axles, will it work?

i ordered 6 lug rock crawler that are actually coming today. over the weekend i found a deal for a 14 f/f with 4.10's and a d44 with the same gears for 250.00 but they are 8 lug

Can I keep my 15" tires and swap to 15" 8 lug rims? I am wanting to know if I will have enough caliper clearance and what backspacing to run to make it all fit.

can anyone opint me in the right direction?

if it helps, i am adding a 4 inch suspension lift with rear springs and 35" pro comp mud terrains

thanks

tom

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

Re: 8 lug wheels, 15\" rims and 3/4 ton axles, will it work?

ttt, anyone?

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

15's will fit 3/4 axles with no problems. It's when you step up to a D60 is when you have to grind the calipers or go to a bigger wheel...

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

You might have to do some grinding.

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    15's will fit 3/4 axles with no problems. It's when you step up to a D60 is when you have to grind the calipers or go to a bigger wheel...

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, your still gonna have to grind those calipers, quite a bit sometimes too. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

Can you all give a little more detail? Blazerguy what BS wheels did you use if you have done this? Everyone else what BS were you running and what is "quite a bit" of grinding?

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh....not quite. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

It depends on what wheel backspacing you are using. With my 8-lug D44 using wheels with 4.25" BS, I had quite a bit of grinding to do.
    [​IMG]

They guys who are running wheels with 2.75" BS required little or no grinding.

As far as the 14BFF is concerned, 15" rims should bolt up with little problem using drums or disks. One of the calipers I used for my rear disks needed to be cleaned up with the grinder, but other than that, no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 10 bolt front looked just like the above one. My D60 looks just like the one in the tech article.

I run 15x10s with 4.25" backspacing. Grinding is definitely required.

In fact, even the 10 bolt took a considerable amount of grinding.

9. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

ok, here's the deal, essentially there is no differance in the calipers, it's just that the 3/4 ton back plate moves the calipers out more. I dont know about these other dudes, but in our experience you need to grind a fair amount to get the 15" rims to move right. you could put them on, drive it a bit (it wont roll real well) then take them off, find the high points and grind away. AGAIN, this is just my experience up here (the cold weather tends to get our brains), but these other guys might have something else to say.

10. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pictures of how wide I am gonna be at with 2.75 to 3.25" BS or so? This looks like the way to go without too much grinding but I want to be able to pass NJ inspection without much problem...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, here's the deal, essentially there is no differance in the calipers, it's just that the 3/4 ton back plate moves the calipers out more. I dont know about these other dudes, but in our experience you need to grind a fair amount to get the 15" rims to move right. you could put them on, drive it a bit (it wont roll real well) then take them off, find the high points and grind away. AGAIN, this is just my experience up here (the cold weather tends to get our brains), but these other guys might have something else to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this it's likely that your calipers will cut through your rims and destroy your rim and tire, especially if you use a lot of backspacing.

I couldn't even get my wheels to touch the hub before I did quite a bit of grinding.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, here's the deal, essentially there is no differance in the calipers, it's just that the 3/4 ton back plate moves the calipers out more.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'll 2nd that. In fact, the calipers in the picture are the same ones I had on my 6-lug axle.

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know about these other dudes, but in our experience you need to grind a fair amount to get the 15" rims to move right. you could put them on, drive it a bit (it wont roll real well) then take them off, find the high points and grind away. AGAIN, this is just my experience up here (the cold weather tends to get our brains), but these other guys might have something else to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not recommend doing it this way. I would have bent the heck out of my rims if I would have tried to torque the lugnuts down.

You need to make sure you have brand new pads in your calipers, or you will need to grind some more when you change out your old pads.

I would follow the tech article here. That article discusses the D60, but the same idea should work for your D44/10B. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm running 15" x 8" 8 lug rims with my rear disks and the BS is 2.75 and did not have to grind one little bit. Some people with the 2.75 BS might of had to clean up the casting flashing, but that is it. If you get any more BS than 2.75, you will have to grind the calipers. But to answer your question, 15" rims WILL work on 3/4ton axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

I just got off the phone, 15x10 8 lug rockcrawlers are on the way with 2.75" BS. We'll see how they fit hopefully with not too much grinding. Thanks for the replies, I'll post pics when its all done....