Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 or 9 inch lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74chelsea, Sep 13, 2001.

1. 74chelsea

74chelsea Registered Member

what modifications would have to be made to accomidate an 8 or 9 inch lift. like extended drive shafts and stuff, 73 blazer. aside from buying the kit and installing it, what else would i have to do.

2. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I just put an 8" Superlift on my 75 Jimmy. I had to lower the t-case almost 2", add a 4" drag link, 4" steering arm, 2" pitman arm, longer brake lines, lengthen front drive shaft, remove sway bar. I would have had to lengthen the rear drive shaft if I had not swapped the 14 bolt in place of the 12 bolt. Sounds like a lot of work doesn't it?

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

And even with all that steering drop, you still cant steer like it did. You really need to put crossover steering on it ($$$). I would only put a 4-6 inch suspension lift and a 1 or 2 inch body lift. If you need any more room for tires cut he fenders, because you will probably still have to cut the fenders with a 9 inch lift and 38 or 40s because they dont fit in the wheel well.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm going with a 6" susp, 3" body lift. I refuse to deal with all the extra mods an 8" lift requires. A lot of members are not proponents of body lifts, but if it protects your high-dollar tires from being slashed by your fenders, I'm all for it.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have to say, my preference is no body lift and lots of chopping (neatly done of course) to the fender flares.

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual

6. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Don't you have to extra things with a 3" body too? Over what you do with a 1" or 2".

The road is calling you.......ignore it!

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yes you do, such as extending the tranny linkage (very easy), raising your bumpers, and cutting off the lower half of your shroud. If you can weld or know a welder, the bumper raising and linkage extension is a piece of cake. Very simple welds. You can do the rest yourself. I would say the "hardest" part of doing a body lift is the elbow grease it takes to take the rusty bolts off. Keep in mind that some of these things are much easier in some applications. However, doing all these things is still way much easier and more importantly, way much cheaper than extending driveshafts and dealing with having to "guess" where all the vibrations are coming from, having to replace u-joints much more often, etc, etc, etc.

I would love to have ALL my lift in the suspension, but sometimes you have to compromise. I originally planned to go with an 8" Superlift, but after all my research decided to go with the 6".

Don't let me dissuade you, though as a bunch of guys here have over 6" suspension lifts. I just thought that was the easiest thing for me. If you have any other questions, I will be glad to help, just ask.

Good Luck.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I have a 9" suspension lift on my Blazer. That's what I said, 9" suspension! 8" Skyjacker springs with 1" ORD add-a-leafs. Along with a t-case drop, shims, longer brake lines, pitman arm, steering arm, drag link, sway bar drop brackets, and all that hard work, I still didn't have to cut the fenders. There's a lot of work that goes into lifting a truck that high, but it's well worth the work. Do it right the first time and do the nickel and dime fixes on the way. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to e-mail me at blzr4x4ngkid@aol.com. I'm running 16/38.5-15's with 15x14 Bart wheels on a 3/4 ton drivetrain and it still doesn't rub. Looks awesome too!

p.s. Suspension is the best way!

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

9. big75jimmy

In addition to the 8" of suspension lift, I have 1" shackles in the front and will soon be installing a 3" body lift to clear 40" or 44" tires.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Blazer with 44" tires and that much suspension lift is going to be very dangerous to drive. Two of my friends run 44s. Their trucks are definitely not pavement pounders.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have seen Blzr4x4ngkid's rig with the 9" lift and 38" tires.

I can only say it looks bad assed!!! [​IMG]

Even with the 9" and 38's, the fenders had plenty of clearance for those big meats.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

12. big75jimmy

My Jimmy will rarely be street driven as it will be a mud toy. A friend of mine has a '72 Blazer with 12" of lift on 40" Gumbo Mudders that I've riden in and it definately handled differently than a stock Blazer but it didn't seem dangerous to me.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe "dangerous" isn't the word for it. Just "different".

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles