Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 sounds like enough turbos...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, May 31, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

holy boost, batman!

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What are those /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He sure has enough of them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those are turbochargers!! What a plumbing nightmare. This looks like a job for hi_pinion!

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What is a turbo charger /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What's the difference between a turbo charger, and a super charger /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    What is a turbo charger /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What's the difference between a turbo charger, and a super charger /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

both are compressors that compress the intake air, so you can put more fuel/air in the cylinder, making more power.

a turbo compressor is spooled my exhaust gasses passing through a turbine. since the turbo runs off waste gasses, no power is lost, but the lag between when the exhaust gasses exit the cylinder and when the boost comes on is called turbo lag, and can be kinda annoying.

a supercharger/blower is basically the same thing, but instead of running off the exhaust gasses, it's powered by a belt thats run off the engine's crankshaft. because of this resistance, blowers lose something like 15-20% of the power they create to friction and resistance. there are two different kind of blowers, roots type and centrifugal (sp?) type, but im not really too clear on em. mudjunkie 82 could probably tell you more about blowers than i could.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I get it. So with all the turbo chargers he's using he would be making alot of HP?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Where's the beef?

8. thezentree

i would think so. im not exactly what they call an expert, but i would think that 8 turbos would be overkill. then again, he's the one building that monster, not me, hopefully he researched it enough. even so, i bet its crankin out some serious ponies

i would think that theres no way he could use that much boost to one cylinder, but hey, maybe with some really strong parts and a serious fuel system....

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I think that the roots type is the big one that sits on top of an intake manifold and has two lobes that turn and interlock to force air into the engine. The cetrifugal is the kind that mounts kinda' like an alternator and is like a belt driven turbo, it has a turbine inside, and has some type of plumbing to the intake manifold. Some of these have an intercooler that mounts somewhere near the radiator.

10. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    Where's the beef?

[/ QUOTE ]

"there must be a mistake!"
    "did you say steak?"

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

its running 800 HP on a LS1 motor

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Technically, a turbocharger is a type of supercharger. Although commonly a supercharger refers only to belt driven compressors, by definition, a turbocharger is a TYPE of supercharger.

The reason for multiple turbos isn't really to increase the amount of total boost (although I'm sure that it will do that as well) as it is to reduce the lag. Smaller turbos will spool quicker to maximum boost, but run out of steam at high RPMs. Big turbos will lag like crazy, but when they kick in, they'll kick in much harder. Multiple smaller turbos combines the benefits of little/no lag with the high boost numbers of a larger turbo.

I'm far from the expert on forced induction but there are a few facts to chew on.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm personally not impressed one bit....he could make more boost than he would know what to do with, with 2 good turbos. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, that's an interesting engineering exercise, but it certainly doesn't look like something that many people would want. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I guess that now we know what sorts of stuff that people with WAY too much money and time on their hands dream up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have to wonder if the engine produces enough exhaust gases to ever come close to driving all those turbos at full capacity. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm personally not impressed one bit....he could make more boost than he would know what to do with, with 2 good turbos. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was smart he'd say screw the turbos, grow some balls, and bolt on a REAL blower.

This is America, punk. Turbos are for DIESELS!

16. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah you may think that, but think of it this way, a turbo doesnt take any engine power to turn the exhaust passes through with next to no restriction, and compresses the intake air. While the bigger you get with a blower the more power it takes to turn. Ill take a turbo anyday.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

incorrect. The turbo is this big old thing with blades in the middle of your exhaust, of course it creates restriction. But the static loss to spin it is much less than a supercharger. And that thing is one of the most homoerotic things I've ever seen. The engineering doesn't look very good by any mean, I mean look at the big log things hes running the turbos on. They will spool at far different rates and none of them will spool quickly like that. He could be pushing well over 1000 HP with a twin turbo setup, if he is proud of 800HP with 8 turbos to rethink his giant waste of money. Watch the video too, what boost? Turbos don't spool up for a good 10 seconds, mmm turbo lag to the extreme. And it sounds like he is spinning some RPMs to get them to spool. I'd be interested at the power numbers below say 4500 RPMs. I can't tell, is that an intercooler in the front? If so the potential of those turbos would be wasted with that thing unless he realizes he will never power all those turbos. If thats not an intercooler hes a fool for not running one. The heat by 8 compressors going and all that exhaust crap will mean one heck of an intake charge.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya 800 is garbadge with 8 turbos, troy treapainer (rad rides by troy) made 1500+ hp of his twin turbo mill in one of his cars

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1500hp or more can be done with an intercooler and twin turbo's...8 is compensating for a microscopic penis I'd think. 800 hp with 8 turbo's...I'm not surprised, they'd be creating so much heat he'd be gaining very little boost.

Looks like the ultimate in inefficiency to me.

When Kenne Bell's single turbo V-6 GN ran a 7.99/167 do you think he used a single turbo because it was all he could afford? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That thing had to be makiing 1500 hp from 231 cubic inches...

Rene

20. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason for multiple turbos isn't really to increase the amount of total boost

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. The main reason for using series turbos (the setup you are talking about that has a high pressure and low pressure turbo) is for running lots of boost. If good response is needed, then parallel turbo setups are used. Case in point, the Cat C11-15 truck engines have a series turbo setup. Although they may have better response than the older single turbo setup, the main reason they use series turbos is the get the boost way up (50 psi or so). However, our genset engines from C15 up use parallel turbos. The reason, great response from using two smaller turbos instead of one large one to make up for changes in load so the engine can stay at a constant rpm for power generation.