Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" suspension lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Oct 21, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

8\" suspension lift questions

first off I know Im blue,and it going to change soon.
    second,who makes a good riding 8" lift kit spring? is superlift any good? I was tempted to buy a guniune suspension kit from 4 wheel parts,but I've heard nothing but poor remarks about how rough they ride.I have a 79' long bed pickup,with a heavy winch and winch bumper combo,so I dont think I can have the softride springs because they'll sag after awile.anyways,will the rear shaft have to be lengthened? I know the front does,but Im lost on the rear.I dont wanna put it on miles away from home to find out I cant drive it back /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    right now I have a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift,after the 8" goes in I'll have 11" of lift riding on 36.5" RVT's until I can get bigger tires,38"s or 39"s
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Re: 8\" suspension lift questions

superlift makes a decent spring...ive got 8" packs in the back of my 88 and they ride fairly well...

as far as the front goes when you step up to 8" packs you have to get heavy duty...they dont make a superide in anything over 6

Later

3. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

skyjacker makes an 8 in. soft ride and so does bds if i recall right. i'm running the skyjacker's for 3 years now with no sagging, my 8's ride better than the 4 in.superlift ones i had in my 1/2 ton p.u. i'd say your rear shaft will end up being to short.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had good luck with superlift products /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

the 8" to 12" superlifts are great lifts for what there designed for but they don't ride like the shorter springs.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    the 8" to 12" superlifts are great lifts for what there designed for but they don't ride like the shorter springs.

[/ QUOTE ]Yep,Tell me about it.with the 12" lift they are stiff,you do not really even need shocks.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is there really a reason you want to go to an 8" spring? I wanted to for the longest time, but I've decided to stay at 6". It's much easier on driveshafts, especially the front.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think about a shackle flip / lift springs combo for the rear. If you already have a 4" lift, then just get the ORD 4" shackle flip for the rear and reuse your 4" rear springs. For front 8" springs, think BDS, or Tuff Country, they seam to be quite poppular with alot of people on this site.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there really a reason you want to go to an 8" spring? I wanted to for the longest time, but I've decided to stay at 6". It's much easier on driveshafts, especially the front.

[/ QUOTE ] I kind of agree because anything taller than 6" springs and you need to have a CV rear shaft fabbed up otherwise vibration and u-joint failure would be constant. Mudjunkie has a K30 which is probably a long bed and that helps deal with those angles. I think any suspension over 8" or maybe 10" is a bad idea on a short wheel base truck like a blazer.

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

For Z3PR...tuff country doesnt make anything over 6 that i know of...so front 8's from them wouldnt work

RJFGUITAR: My mud truck/beach truck is a blazer with 12" of suspension and 42s on it...so its not that bad of an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    RJFGUITAR: My mud truck/beach truck is a blazer with 12" of suspension and 42s on it...so its not that bad of an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't say it couldn't be done but I bet you have expensive driveshafts to keep the vibs down. If it is only used offraod than it isn't that big of a deal. I just wouldn't do it with a DD.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It'd be illegal and dangerous to have a truck be that big as a DD anyway.

13. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif why ??? I DD my yellow truck for 2 months with 44" swampers and a 12 inch lift I don't think it's dangerousand it's not illegal here in New Mexico

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It'd be illegal and dangerous to have a truck be that big as a DD anyway.

[/ QUOTE ] Some states don't have any lift laws.

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

for 8, if that's what YOU want, i'd go with the skyjackers softrides. that's the spring i have. which are now down to about 6 1/2 -7" of lift since i removed a leaf for the pack. before that they were firm but gave a nice ride.

16. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

so superlift is the way to go? I was going to go with a guniune suspension lift but everyone says they are rough riding.the front shaft will need to be lengthened and maybe the rear is what you guys are saying.the truck is used as a daily driver,mud bogger,and deep water crosser.
    how much would the basic superlift cost,off somones head,until I can call.

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i ran 8 inch springs on both my rigs for abuot 2-1/2 years. the rear driveshaft was lengthened.... but no CV was installed. While i had the 38" TSL radials, i never had vibrations. it wasnt until i put the 39" Bias TSL's on there when it started VIbrating. You just need some decent size shims under your springs.

As far as which brand of springs. I had superlift, and personally i though they rode like sh!t. I would try skyjacker if i were you.... I would also consider a different way to get more lift rather then 8 inch springs.

1 inch body lift
    1 inch 0 rate addaleafs,
    shackle flip.
    there 6 inches right there. Then get some 2.5 inch rear springs. that takes care of the rear

for the front. get yourself a dana 60. theres one inch of lift. then get a 0rate addaaleaf... theres 2 inches... then get a 4 inch spring, theres 6.... get some heavy duty shackles ffrom ORD and i think thats like 3/4 inch lift plus the one inch bodylift you got 7-3/4"
    7-3/4" in the front 8-1/2" in the back,... No sag and your good to go.

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I agree with silver. Get 6" springs, 2" longer shackles and a tapered zero rate. It will give you around 8" of lift with a better ride and flex than 8" springs. In the rear do a combination of shackle flip, extended shackles, springs and a zero rate to get the 8".

I have about 9" of suspension lift with 6" tuff country springs in the front and stock springs in the rear (soon to change) but it rides and flexes great. I think that it rides as good if not better than stock and hopefully it will ride even better when I get some descent shocks.

Trey

19. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I understand what youre saying, i was just stating its been done...i drive that blazer 4 out of 7 days a week...eats me up in gas but its def. worth it...my truck is def. not unsafe either...its been built the correct way with all the correct components

to each his own i guess

Later