Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 vs 12 bolt hummer rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90BCk5, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

12's are better, are they not? i found a guy in canada who would sell me 5- 8 bolts but for too much and they arent 12 bolt.... so my Q is--->anyone know of a (reputable) business that sells the military version? im not having any luck w/ this and id like to get this truck on the road before the white stuff falls again! thanks :D

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I don't really know why anyone would really want (or need) the 12bolt version. The later 12bolt rims do use thicker metal; they standardized the rim to the HD version after the M1114 Up-Armored HMMWV came out. The M1114 is one heavy MoFo! But I've never seen a bent rim (either style) that wasn't involved in a crash. Guess you could bend one give enough weight and abuse.... :D

The 8bolt is plentyful 'cause most (Army) units have ditched the bias ply Wranglers for the radial. The radial uses a rubber funflat/bead lock, as opposed to the bias magnesium runflat/bead lock. I would use one of those PVC beadlock for a play truck (and loose all that unsprung weight).

* The best thing about the 8bolt is the rim doesn't CRUSH the O-ring like the 12bolt rim does. You can actually re-use the O-ring for the 8bolt; the 12bolt o-ring looks like a bead of RTV when u take it apart. 12bolt rim is prone to leak air too; assemble 20+ rims at a shot and you're garanteed to have a couple of leakers ! :rolleyes:

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

interesting post....
    The only thing I knew was that 8 bolt for bias and 12 bolt for radial... guess you could use either on either rim... but not sure...

4. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

8 bolt for bias? damn i thought it was the other way around.... are those rims 9' wide? what would be the widest tire i would want to run on a 8 bolt hummer rim? thanks guys ! :D

5. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 8 bolt hummer rim was used to run a bias tire at a lower pressure. The 12 bolt rim was used to run the radial tire at a higher pressure. As for the o-ring issue that was mentioned. I run a 12 bolt setup and have had zero airleak issues and have disassembled and reassembled the rims several times with no distortion of the o-ring. The hummer rim, be it 8 or 12 bolt are both a 8.25" wide rim with a 7 inch back spacing. The 8 bolt and the 12 bolt have different max air pressure ratings as well as different max weight ratings. I hope this helps as far as information goes. As for who sells them, I can't say. I have been looking for extras to have, but have had very little luck.

6. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a link to all the info that I have regarding hummer rims. Hummer Info

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have not dealt with them personally so I am only saying what I have heard..
    I would not deal with them as people have had ALOT of bad experiences with them..... sorry...
    Jeff

9. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the info guys, i found 5- 8 bolt rims w/ mag runflats and all hardware in canada, im going to be running 38x16 swampers on them and just wanted a few opinions as to which would be better suited for me...

thanks again

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

assemble 20+ rims at a shot and you're garanteed to have a couple of leakers !

We did this every couple of weeks for the past year, so I stand by what I said. :rolleyes: As far as crushing the O-ring, there maybe a difference between the earlier 12bolt and the later HD 12bolt rim. We left all of equipment in Iraq, so I don't have any HMMWVs in the yard now. 'Did really feel like breaking down a rim just for a picture anyway ;)