Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8-wheel drive fun for just over $11,000

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 13, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what did they build that for ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cool dragon wagon. gotta love any rig that comes with rockwells and big azz michelin tires stock. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its a winch truck. For whenever they find a situation where another beast like that somehow gets stuck. Probably move buildings with it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. 7,550 hours and only 1,512 miles, I think it did a little bit of winching and not much moving huh?

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I love it. If you come up to a big obstacle you can either hook up the winches and drag it outta the way or just start to drive up on it and it'll either sink into the ground or explode. What more could anyone want??

Allan

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1 million dollars?

7. justhorsinaround

How about the million and that big ole truck?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a million that big old truck and a harley? a few more tattoos? some piercings? a new video card for my computer? another post pad to add to my already too large amount?

9. justhorsinaround

Hell I'd settle for a job right now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK you stumped me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've seen 'bout every variant of HEMTT (including the elusive M984 straight). I've even worked on a few of the (Marine) Corps articulated variants. BUT I aint seen nothin' like that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I see alotta hydraulics on that thing and some strange crane/derect appendages hanging on the side. This thing looks nothing like the Marine units (no articulated frame, different air filter) I've seen. Nor does it bear any working resemblence to an Army M984/M984A1.

What the hell is it? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

mms://rodan.implex.net/alliedvaughn/Oshkosh/HEMTT_300k.wmv

Here is a cool video on this page that explains some of the features of the truck. We (Caterpillar) make the engines for some of the Oshkosh trucks but I think they still use Detroit too. They actually developed the software (fuel and timing maps) in the test cell right next to where I work. Hopefully theyll bring one in for testing some day.

Here is some info on the truck that we presently build engines for. Its a pretty badass firetruck.
    http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/airportmunicipal/products~striker~home.cfm
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Those are my Babies! I work on them all day long... I've never seen one with a CAt engine though, only Detriot DDEC I,II,III........ ANyways, they do rock and I can't wait to use my in the desert! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

daaaayum there's some good deals on that site... too bad it doesn't list the mechanical condition of most of the vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

15. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well to pull the other one out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I'm stumped too, maybe some sort of cable laying rig for telecom or something. Hell, you could strip all that stuff off and sell it and then put you a palletized loading system on there for loading and unloading of your K5 arsenal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif People would poop when they see you roll up in that at the trailhead /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Price is still the same, are none of you guys bidding??

17. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey Steel, if you look at BBlaze OshKosh video you'll see the new independent suspension HEMTT. I talked to factory instructor about seven years ago when they were testing it. The suspension worked great but kept cracking frames /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't know if the Army is ready to buy it yet. Have you seen the new Replacement Tactical Vehicle (7 Ton) built by Oshkosh. It's running a C-12 Cat and (six wheel drive) independent suspension. It's also got that damn Allison electronic trans/xfer torque splitter.

Hey BlueBlaze, ever wonder why your Cats didn't make it in a HEMTT? It was a contract requirement that the HEMTT go from a "zero air pressure" status to "roll" in something like 3 minutes @ zero degrees F. That nessitated starting a cold engine, reving it to near max RPM, to build 100 PSI and release the brakes /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Cat and Cummins said they wouldn't warranty any engine operated in such a manner. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif