Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. RIDNHIGH

RIDNHIGH Registered Member

Oki the SkyJacker 8" lift kit for our trucks are really cheap.
    $425. How can someone resist? Now if I was to go from a 4" all the way up to a 8" the same modifications would have to be done correct? I just wanna make sure im not missing anything. Lower Transfer case (how much lower?), Longer drive shafts estimate (how much length and $ ?) longer brake lines front $70, pitman arm $80 along with a Drag link $120, and what would i be missing? Then while i was looking at lifts between kits and systems, how do the 8" kits get that much lift in the rear without a fully new leaf pack? Im asking because they give you the option of blocks in the rear or leafs.

2. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

I just got done putting a 8" Superlift on w/ rear blocks. To tell you the truth, I wish I got the kit with rear springs. With the box kit, they send you 5.5" blocks and 2" add-a-leafs. You do the math. Long story short: the ass end saggs. I'm probably going to order rear leafs as soon as $ allows. I got a extended CV slip yoke shaft from Arizona Drivelines for $320 to my door. Extended brake lines, drop pitman arm (along with existing 4" steering arm) and new gears completed it. Oh, if you have the stock exhaust manifold, you will need to have the "H-pipe"/crossover section cut and relocated to clear the front driveshaft once the 8" kit is on. And if you're looking for tires, check out Tyers International. I got 38x12.50R15 TSL's for 168 a piece.
    CB

3. RIDNHIGH

Hah, i didnt even know they maid a 5.5" block.
    An block bigger then 4" is illeagal around here, and the 1/2" short of 8"s doenst sound to good. With the modification you did with your truck for the 8" with steering if i was to do a 6" could i get away with a steering arm alone?

4. RIDNHIGH

Re: 8\"-6\" steering components.

Let me simplify my rambling thoughts.
    Oki, after asking questions all day and going back and forth from a 4"-8" lift ive decided to stick with the 6" lift.
    i would like to thank everyone on all of the input and putting up with all of my stupid questions, im new at this offroading stuff so bare with me. I have ONE no TWO hopefully LAST questions for all of you. For my 6" lift; besides needing longer front brake lines,1) How much longer do i need my drive shafts? And last but not least 2) what are all the steering components im going to need to get for the 6" lift?
    I would like again to thank eveyone for helping my young 19 year old ass out!

And last but not least

5. RIDNHIGH

Re: Steering help last but not least !

Let me simplify my rambling thoughts.
    Oki, after asking questions all day and going back and forth from a 4"-8" lift ive decided to stick with the 6" lift.
    i would like to thank everyone on all of the input and putting up with all of my stupid questions, im new at this offroading stuff so bare with me. I have ONE no TWO hopefully LAST questions for all of you. For my 6" lift; besides needing longer front brake lines,1) How much longer do i need my drive shafts? And last but not least 2) what are all the steering components im going to need to get for the 6" lift?
    I would like again to thank eveyone for helping my young 19 year old ass out!

And last but not least

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, #1, no one can tell you how long a rear driveshaft you need. The reason is simple: no two trucks are alike. That means, you need to lift the truck and then measure the distance between the rear yoke and t-case.

#2, for 6" lift, you have two options: A. 6" raised steering arm from Skyjacker, or, B. 4" raised steering arm AND 2" drop pitman arm, also from Skyjacker.

I would not mess with the drag link as far as getting aftermarket ones. The straight drag links are better than the aftermarket bent ones.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup pretty much what Wes (K30) said. It really depends on how flexy and such you wnat to get and if you run a swaybar... what bumpstops you use, Ford towers... etc. I think the average is the 1" spacer for the front driveshaft usually works ok for most 6" lift trucks and usuallt 1 or 2 inches of additional drive shaft are needed out back.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Andy
    have ya had a chance to take it out wheelin yet?
    How is the front driveline angle?
    I have a chance to get a set of 8" springs front and rear, and heard that I would have to turn the knuckles to get the shaft to live.
    If I have to then I will, I have access to everthing to do it but if I don't then that would be fine with me.
    $400 for the set is to good to pass up.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>