Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

80 K5 Starting problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, i've been baffled with this problem on my sisters K5 for about 2 months now. Brand new battery, starter, ignition switch(on end of column, not key part) and all fuses are good(in fuse box). Problem started out as a typical intermediate starter problem, turn key nothing, tap on solenoid with screwdriver and it would start. So I replaced starter, still did it (intermediately). So I replaced the ignition switch, same thing happens. Now the thing won't start at all. Had the battery and starter tested and they are both good, new switch is hooked up correctly or it wouldn't of worked in the first place when I originally replaced it. This is a stock 80 K5 silverado, any ideas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I would bet it's electrical. I had an intermittent starting problem with my 90 and it had a loose connection at the starter. Maybe a short or a loose connection. When you are having the problem, check the voltage at the starter, connection block (on the firewall if it has one), and at the ignition switch.

Also check the neutral safety switch (which you might want to just short to rule out as a problem).

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd second checking the wiring. Are you getting power to the firewall and accessories even when it won't start? One of my previous cars, the PO had spliced into the ignition wire, and instead of doing it the right way, tried to butt connect it. The butt connector was holding *one* strand of the wire, and when the car was warm, and sometimes just randomly, it wouldn't start.

Finally had to abandon it over at a friends house until I could come back and thoroughly troubleshoot the problem.