Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

.80 over 350?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    A buddy of mine has an engine block and everything needed to build it sitting in his garage except for the pistons and rings. He said that if I bought the pistons and rings and gave him 150 bucks he'd build the motor for me. I trust his motor building skills, but I don't know if I trust an .80 over small block. The motor wouldn't go in a daily driver or anything like that, it'd just go in a mud truck... but .80 over sounds like it might be a little much. Is building the .80 over block worth it, or will it just blow up really quick? Oh, if I did build it, I would get a big-ol' radiator and pusher/puller fans to help keep it cool.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt say it would blow up real quick... just would be harder to keep cool, and I wouldnt count on being able to rebuild it again.

Ken H.

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I realize that the block has gone about as far as a block can go... but do you think that its worth it to have an .80 over 350 for under 400 dollars? Even if it does blow, theres a good chance that most of the other parts would still be usable... including intake, heads, hopefully crank and cam too...

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Personally... I woundt think twice about it... especially for under $400. Go for it.

Ken H.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

As plentiful as 350's are I wouldn't do it. Cylinder wall thickness, reliability and overheating issues aside, generally a motor bored 60 is considered to be it's last rebuild - this motor is already bored 80! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The next thing to consider is that 80 over pistons are not regular parts house pieces, these will most likely be much more expensive race type piston.

IMO, save the money and find a 100k mile virgin motor to build and feel better knowing that if anything happens you can always build it again.

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I'd say find a new block. Why waste the money you could put in a well built motor with a good block? Of course if you really want that block, you could have the cylinders sleeved, but that's about $80 a hole.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Well, should I look for a standard bore block from a junkyard? How much should I expect to pay for a blown motor from a junkyard, and how do I make sure that I don't get a block that is too trashed to use?

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You have Pick-N-Pulls there? I think Labor Day weekend they are having a half off sale... see if you can get an engine and then get it bored over to .30 that way if you ever need to rebuild you have some options rather then this sucker who sounds like it's past it's life... check your local paper and stuff like the Penny Saver. I see engines from part outs sometimes for $100 bucks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Whats Pick-N-Pull? Is it like some junkyard chain store? We have yards arround here where you can go out and pick parts you want and pull them off yourself if thats what your asking. I think I'm just gonna find some truck in a junkyard with a blown up 350 and go that route. Thanks everybody for your input...

10. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Local pull it yourself is the way to go unless you find one cheap in the local paper. If you want a almost reasonable way to check the bore size: pull one or both the heads and look for .020 , .030, .040, .060 stamped on the top of the piston head. If these numbers are found it has been bored that much over. If no numbers are found, you have a virgin! Good luck.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah it might be a west coast thing.... but they do specials every so often. My friend got a 350 for his Jeep for like $65 last time they did it... thought it might be a cheap option...

12. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

try and find a 3/4 or 1 ton van to pull it outta. If they will let you pull the heads and inspect before you c ommit. I get 350 for $100 around here (no warranty). $300-350 running with 60 day warranty..

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Being an automotive machinist for 16 years I have never heard or even seen any piston larger than .060" for a 350 chevy. There is the possibility that someone can custom make you a set for about $600.00 but there are none that are off the shelf at .080"

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

I had never heard of them before either, and jegs wanted like 500 bucks for a set... but theres a place in Burton, MI called Burton Automotive and they said 150 bucks and they could get em' for me...

15. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

So is it basicly guaranted that if a motor is bored over it will be stamped in the top of the pistons?