Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$800 for a D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Its the cheapest ive found in 2 years of searching, and I desperately need to upgrade from my 44 now that im breaking parts. The only problem is that its got duallie hubs on it and I think its a full time 4wd. How much will it cost me to get the hubs and rotors to change it to single wheel? Ive heard lots of different prices on this. Ill need lockouts too I guess which are close to $200 I think? Ill probably end up spending at least $1500 to get it and get it in good enough shape to put under my truck. Should I pass and find another one?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If it has the gears you want go for it. Otherwise hubs are in the $350-400 range, lockouts are probably just under $200, make sure you check out the condition of the ring and pinion, bearings, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. If it doesn't have the gears you want, realize what this thing is going to cost you to get it going. Of course, front 60s become worth more by the day and you have been looking for a while... Its your decision to make :D

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Yes it supposedly has the gears im looking for, he said if I wanted it he would pull the cover off for me to look at. Its still in a truck right now, a truck I almost bought last year but I decided not to because it has a broken frame. If he pulls the cover off for me what should I look for? I guess D60's have the number of ring and pinion teeth stamped on them like my 14b does? Other than the ratio number, what should I look for?

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Check out the Dana 60 Bible over at Pirate. Should give you the info you need.

[​IMG]

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What gears are you looking for?

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I paid $900 for mine, it was a DRW one also. I say go for it.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I got mine for 850, and that was including shipping. Its an srw with open 4.56's and was in decent shape. Although this was a few years ago...

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

bought mine bout 3months ago, 4.10s in good condition, needed new u-joints for shafts (found out after the fact, i was planning to upgrade to 35spline anyways so it didnt matter) paid $800 + i drove 150miles each way to pick it up.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

A few things I would think about from what you said...

To me it sounds like an ok deal, however if it is full time 4wd that is extra wear on the gears, bearings, seals, etc. If the truck its coming from has a broken frame, sounds like it has had a hard life as well. I am not sure it would be my first choice if it were me, I would rather spend more and not have to change and replace so much stuff.

10. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Mine was $900.Needed a pinion bearing and seal and a bit of brakework.Had the correct gears for me and a lot of rust.Kinda like the floors in my rig:D

11. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've sold alot of 60, both GM and Dodge, and one HP60. The cheapest one was $500, and the most was $900. This doens't include shipping. I just sold a GM 60 for $600. Don't know all it needs, never took it apart. I have a GM 60 that is in my truck right now, all rebuilt, and think I'm gonna sell it. I have over $2k into it, have new 4.56s, Traclok 4.56+ carrier. I have an HP60 that I'm gonna put in my truck, not gonna be able to do the SAS on my 97 for awhile, if at all. Only thing is the GM will get the Ford outers. I just got 15" boggers, and the Ford has new rotors, calipers, brakes, and 9/16 wheel studs. PM me if interested.

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

there is one in the yard over here... $900 needs rebuild and is a dually....

lucky I paid $75 for mine when you add up all I got :haha:
    but put $600 front d60 in, $120 for 4.56's and $110 for rebuild kit.. so all in all.... $900 for a locked 4.56 front d60... then xover.. and the price continues and continues:doah: