Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8000 lb warn winch, will it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by proyouring71nova, Aug 30, 2002.

1. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

I found a good deal on a 8000lbs winch, I'm not sure if I sould go for one with more of a load rating? I have a 69 k20 3/4 ton with a small block and 33" pro comp mudz on with about a 100lbs of metal rusted of the bed. So do I need a like a 10,000 lbs winch or what? thanks max maxxxgreen@attbi.com

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You could probably make it work I bet.... you can get a snatch block and use it to double your pull load. Do you know how much your truck weighs? Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought a general rule of thumb was one and a half times more the weight of the vehicle. So if your truck weighs 5,000lbs then you want a winch that can pull 7,500lbs.... if it's 6,000lbs then you want a 9,000lb winch. Make sense?

Check out http://www.clemson4wheel.com/c4w.htm and see if they have somehting in your price range. I have yet to see any place beat their prices.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have an 8000 pound winch. Its been good enough that it has not been worth buying a bigger one. If its a good deal go for it.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

make sure the electrical part of the install is 100%

5. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

What kind of a deal are you getting??

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

8000 would work for ya. your rig isnt THAT heavy. Sure, a warn M15000# winch would be best, but if u need more pulling power u can always use snatch blocks and double or triple the pulling power... of course it'll be slow as hell... but so is spending 5 hrs digging your truck out of that mud hole. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Butch and I both have Warn 8274's on our rigs. I am very happy with mine. So far, I haven't even needed to use a snatch block, but I am sure I will eventually. It haven't had a problem with not having enough winch. Like MJ said, make sure your electrical stuff is 100% right. An 8274 is still faster w/ a snatch block than a 15k lb. winch under full load. Best of both worlds.

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If its in excellent shape and a REAL good deal, then maybe. Depends a lot on what you run? Mud... I would pass on it. 8ks are no good for full size mud running.

Ken H.

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

The 8274 is the king. I used mine to help pull a dead 65 chevy truck out of a river. It looked like more than 45 degrees for about 10 feet. The line speed is great and you can listen to the ratchet action and stop just before you let the smoke out of it, then break out the snatch block.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree... the 8274 is the king of 8000-10000lb winches. Very fast and a lot of cable. But, for MI mud, it is not a winch for full sizes in my opinion. thats why I asked what kind of wheeling he does.

Myself... with the stuff I get into... nothing other than a 12k for me.

Ken H.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Speed is nice for rock crawling and trails. Most of the time a 8,000 is enough. If it isn't then like was said Double line it and your up to almost 16,000 lb of available pulling power.
    Deep mud......Bigger is better.

12. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

The hole resond for getting the 8,000 and not a 15000 is because I can get it for $450 never used (the line is perf, still wound right and tight. He mounted it and didnt like the LOOK ha. Thanks for the help max

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'd jump all over that for that price /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Worse comes to worse you can use it for a while and probably get a full return if you sell it later. Heck you might even want to stick it on the back if you get a better winch for the front /forums/images/icons/smile.gif