Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8000 lb winch...enuff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 12, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you were running a k5 that had just a s-10 cab, small block, chopped frame/tube rear etc (thinking 4500-4800 lb range here), would a 8000 lb winch be enough?

j

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes but i would still get a snatch block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. muddinmike

muddinmike Registered Member

Enough for what? Rockcrawling? you betcha! Stuck in the mud up past the frame? not even close to moving you! I would say for general use your probbaly allright with a 8000 pounder but it sure wouldnt hurt to go bigger. And yeah a snatch block sure would help either way.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i have never wanted to run in mud... and if I ever got stuck up to the frame, Im grabbing a shovel first, not a winch remote. This rig would be for trails and rocks.... and I'd definitely have a snatch block to 2x the winches power for really nasty stuck situations or when i was helping pull someone else's heavy rig out. anyway, thanks much for the input guys. Im not rich, and I always seem to find great deals on 8000 lb warns... prolly cause everyone needs/wants a 9000 or 9500. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Rule of thumb is multiply the fully loaded trail weight of your rig by 1.5 and that is the size winch you should get. You can fudge this a bit with a snatch block but you cut your cable length in half. I would say for you a 8,000lb winch should be fine even without a snatch block as 5,000 x 1.5 = 7,500 which is well in line with what you have and plan to get.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I always find it worrysome when people put up posts about being stuck up to the frame, and after mega broken parts, 3 winches, 4 trucks, they had to call in a back hoe or something...

I have been stuck to the frame before, but I think a 2000lb winch probably could have moved me out. I've never tried that theory, but...

I estimated my rig to weigh in at approximate 6200 Lbs with all my gear and people weight. applying the standard acceptable 1.5x , I would get 9300. To keep it save, I got a 10.5, and a snatch. Seeing as how I cant trust those little jeeps to get me out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif