Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8000 PTO Winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Michk5, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    I have a Ramsey PTO winch rated at 8000 pounds...so my question is will this be enough to get the job done pulling a fullsize short box pickup?? It won't be pulling me out of any mud so I think it will be enough to get the job done. I like the simplicity of PTO's, but if this isn't going to be big enough I'd like to know so I can look for something in the 10,000+ pound range. What do you think??

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when i got my pto off dieseldan, we were talking and he said that the ptos were rated for overhead lifting, of the safty margin would be 3x as compared to 2x.

the ine you use is your bigest conseren, dan knew of a guy with a bed mounted pto who hit the ****er in gear, and the hook cought his bumper and folded his flat bed in half!!

3. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

anyone else??

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

It will be way more than enough. I had one exactly the same on my 73 burban. There was never one time where it was not srtong enough. One time in particular i can think of is when (before i could drive) My dad got us way stuck in a stream that we thought had a solid botom on it but we sunk pretty much up to the doors. From forward to reverse we didnt move an inch. We hooked up the cable to a tree that was in front of us engaged it and put it in gear and stood back and watched as it drug itself out of the creek as dag had a cup of coffee. The cable was creeking and strethchin and all that but the winch never gave a hint of not wanting to do the job. Id do anything to get that winch back.

5. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Cool looks like I'll just keep the one I have. :D

6. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

You better make damn sure you keep that winch!!!! I have a pto winch and it will pull anything out or tear it in half. Make sure you have good cable because something will give with a pto winch.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads running an 8000lb ramsey on his 6000lb truck and it will pull anything you ask until the truck loses traction. Trees, trucks up steep banks, etc.

Never given him a bit of problems, been on the truck since about 1980 and it was used at that point. :)

8. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i have a 7000lb braden lu4 on my m715, its never let me down...
    and a 10000lb on my m35, and it really pulls!!!!!!!! both of my vehicles are heavier than the winch is rated to pull

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

It will be plenty strong. You can alter the speed of the winch by running a jackshaft with chain and sprokets. Just watch how fast you run the input on the winch and monitor temps. My buddies 40K Tulsa started boiling fluid after and hour or two of almost none stop winching.

Down side of a PTO winch: on a large trail run with big mud holes you'll get pressed into service as a winch truck. The electric winches will eat batteries long before your truck runs out of gas!

Safety loops for the drive shaft wouldn't be a bad idea. I almost got hit in the legs when one came out from under a truck.