Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8000 rpm and 18 volts... ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, May 12, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ok my electrical problem is back...

turn the key... nothing happens
    the ignition hot accessories all work, but when i go to turn the motor over, it pretends the batterys are dead. i know thats not the case. if i try later it will randomly start. sometimes if i take the column shifter and bring it down to 1 and back up, it will start.

the main problem with this is it only does this once or twice a month, so its hard to diagnose a problem, it also seems to do it at the worst times, when it is dark and away from my shop or house...

ANY HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!!!

im thinking maybe its the cylinder lock, ignition switch (?) or hopefully not bad wiring :crazy: :confused:

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Does the starter solenoid click? My guess is that it does not and is burnt contacts (and otherwise barely closing when it works) in your column mounted ignition switch. $15 part, 30 minutes to change.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 87 was doing that. I replaced the lock and ingintion cyliner and it helped. However I believe that the column is worn excessively where the cyliner goes. When I put the cyliner in there was a lot of fine metal shavings. I turn the key all the way forward until it stops. Then have to add a little more turn before it will fire. Its enough more that I can't do the ole, reach in the window with the left hand and crank it. I also replace a starter and battery before I figured this out. Hope I stated all this to were you could understand it. Kinda hard to explain. :xmas:

4. blazerpro79

sometimes also, it will start, but my tach will read 8000 rpm and the volts will be reading 18... both pinned, if i hit the gas, the rpm will drop down to normal reading, but the volts still read 18... am i looking at a possible wire crossing between a hot line and a ground?

5. blazerpro79

yeah... no clicking. thanks, i will definatly try that tomorrow