Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

802.11b home lan - any networking geeks out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jul 29, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Jul 10, 2000
    I am setting up a wireless LAN for the house so I can share the cable connection with our other computer and so I can stop burning CDs to move a file from one computer to another.
    I already have a wireless 802.11b router/hub up and running. NExt week, I should have the PCI wireless adaptor card in and I'll install it in the other computer.

I have the router logging all activity (make sure kids keep it G rated.)
    How do I restrict file transfer between the computers? I don't want want the kids to be able to browse my computer but I still want to be able to transfer files between the two. Is there a password system or do I have to manually share each file I want to be able to transfer....or do I make a "share' folder or what do I do?
    I'm trying to figure out the basics of home networking but it's hard since I'm still waiting on the wireless adaptor.
    -- Mike
  2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Nov 26, 2002
    dont share any folders on your PC... otherwise as long as your not using win98 (i.e. NT or XP you can password folders