Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

80's model S10 w/straight front axle...(not fullsize axle)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, May 4, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I was at this junkyard today that has the majority of old cars and trucks ranging from the 50's-70's and I ran across this lil S10. I just happened to look at it and noticed it had hubs in the front wheel. Looked closer because I thought they were center caps and they were external lockouts. I was like what the...... There was no engine or hood so I peered into the engine compartment and much to my surprise there was a straight front axle sitting under the front end. It was a Dana 30 or so I think, there was 30 stamped on the top right of the housing. I swear it looked factory, all the spring hangers, brackets everything. It even looked the right width.

Have you guys ever seen anything like that before? I almost asked the guy how much he wanted for the entire truck just for the hell of it.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Early ones share Isuzu parts...

I think the early S-10's were just Isuzu pickups in disguse,re-badged as chevy's...my friend had one,it had a 1.9 litre OPEL engine!--he bought an Opel GT engine from the boneyard to put in it!....I never paid too much attention to the 4x4 ones,but the Isuzu "PUP" is nearly identical....probably one in the same,much like fords Ranger and Mazda being clones of each other... :crazy:

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

s-10's never came with a solid from the factory so it must be a conversion

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's why I was impressed. I knew they came with IFS front ends and this conversion looked so clean.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are a few SFA S-10's running around here. Most have the D30 XJ front diff, mostly because the pumpkin is on the correct side and the width is perfect. The problem is that it's still a D30...:crazy:

rene

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea it was swapped in.

im in the middle of putting a dana 60 in the front of my 92 s10