Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

80s series Standard Cab, Step Sides

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbone, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

I have always liked the looks of the Chevy standard cab step side bed trucks from the 80s. I have always kept an eye out for one and now am getting serious about hunting one down. I am curious as to how many of this configuration were made each year, how many were 2 wheel drive and how many were 4x4, and in which weight classes they were avalible. IE could you get one that was a K30 non dually? This information will help me narrow down what I want and let me know how hard its going to be to find it. I have tried searching on the web. This type of production info has got to be out there somewhere, but apparently I am not searching for it correctly because I can't find it.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Too bad you don't live around here -- I've got a 77 stepper that I'm not particularly attached to, lol

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I don't know about production numbers. Just judging from my memory, there are many more Fleetsides than Stepsides.

Also note that while the Stepside was nominally available in a longbed (8'ish), I believe the majority are the short 6.5'ish size.

I don't know if you could get them in anything other than half-ton; check my http://brochures.slosh.com page to see.

Duallies only ever came on Fleetsides, so you'd be looking at SRW unless you did something seriously custom to flare the fenders out even more :eek:

However, worst case, you should be able to transplant a Stepside bed onto the pickup of your choice, assuming you find one of the same length as your Fleetside, as the frames are the same between the two. I donno about Stepsides, but regular beds are cheap enough... and I suspect enough people dislike the Stepside beds that they should be cheaper, if p'raps hard to find.

HTH.

-- A

4. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

deleted

I said nearly the same thing Dremu did. How embarassing! :)

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just scanning Dremu's brochures....

'75 makes mention of stepsides up to 9000# GVWR
    '81 shows stepside availability for 3/4-tons
    '86 confirms both short and long stepside availability

Chck your library and bookstore for "spotter's guide" type publications on Chevy trucks. I have a 46-72 one that lists production numbers.

I wouldn't hold my breath on finding the later-model stepsides though. To the point of extending a short box, or swapping fenders with a 60-72 box, to get what you want.

6. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

Thanks guys. Those sales flyers helped and I will try to find one of those spotters guides. I would like to have a 3/4 ton with a short stepside bed. The question is how many of those were made. I would really like to find "the truck" instead of cobbling one together because I intended to keep or restore it to stock specs. So I would like everything to be from the original truck.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That's easy... none. 87-older 3/4-tons didn't come with anything shorter than a longbox.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, only 3/4 ton stepper you'll find will be with a long-step.

Only 1 ton steppers you'll find are 9 foot step beds, and are found on the earlier body style trucks.

Best bet is to find a 1/2 ton stepper, and upgrade it's springs / diffs to 3/4 ton, then badge it as a 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton frames are identical, same part numbers even.