Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

80s toyota 2wd pickups, no rear bumper

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by R72K5, Dec 28, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why is it you see mid late 80s yota pickups with just a sheetmetal rollpan deal part of the bed coverng the frame rail ends and no bumper at all ? abput half of them are this way

i got a warning from a state cop recently for having no rear bumper

this is how the truck is, and many others around here

what gives ??

bunch of bullcrap

2. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't have a rear bumper on my 93 2WD. I think there is loop hole in the law about pickups not requiring to have any bumpers. You're going to have to ask one of the copper who frequent this message board.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

never seen 90s ones without bumper, always been 80s ones

wheres coppers to ask on here ?

i need to know

thanks

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

iirc, here in Jersey your required to have a front, but no rear.. i ran around for a couple years in the Power Wagon with no back and no hassle...

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Bumpers were an option back in the day , for more money . Plus some dealers put their own stepbumpers on . I see lots of OLD trucks in AZ with the name of the original dealer etched into their own welded up bumpers :D

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh i have had alot of trucks with no rear bumper, thats what gets me, never had any trouble and i know in at least 67-72 years rear bumper was not std equipment and all

but what about these 80s yoyos ? the factory roll pans part of lower rear of bed on them instead of a bumper

and in IL ?

how can i find out about this ?

something is really fishy here.,

thanks

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Best bet would be to look up the law on the IL DMV website... Dont know what it is off hand but should be able to find it with google.com.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/rr/rr_chap11.html#required_equipment

Looks like you only need front and rear bumpers if your under 9,000 lbs GVW.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My 1995 C1500 lists the rear bumper as an option. I have a friend who is a cop and he gave me an Illinois vehicle code book 625. It's a couple hundred pages thick and covers rules of the road, revenue, vehicle equipment, commercial vehicles, emergency vehicles, tow vehicles, etc... It is a law in Illinois that you must have a rear bumper. Also for lift height measurement - if you alter your factory bumper mounting system, lower your bumper, or install an aftermaket or homemade bumper they will measure to the highest part of the lower framerail. This means that on the front they will measure to the part of the frame that rolls up to the front of the truck. I have never been measured though. One cop jokingly told me as he walked by my truck at a gas station "I would sure like to get my tape measure under there!" and he laughed.