Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 350 to 88 700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Apr 10, 2006.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Buddy just called me saying a 88 700R4 isnt bolting up to his 81 350. He said the torque convertor wont bolt up. Is it because of the 2 piece to 1 piece rear main change?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the converters are the same for late 84 to 04, only change is the stall speed. BUT, some of the diesel converters got studs (usually 6) instead of a weld nut on the conveter.

if his is gas converter, tell him to rotate it to the next set of holes. the flexplate has 2 different patterns for the converter, one is a little smaller than the other. it will only bolt to one set.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your buddy may have an engine that only has one set of convertor holes on the flexplate that don't line up with his convertor. He may need to go buy a new flexplate of the proper diameter with both bolt patterns on it then it will work. Also, he will need to buy the flexplate to fit the 88 engine since the bolt pattern to the crank is different between those two years of engines.

4. daleearnhardt01

Do you mean he needs to get a new flexplate to fit the 81 engine?

5. 4X4HIGH

Ok, i just re-read your original post. He has an 81 350 engine going in front of an 88 700R4 so he probably needs to buy a new flexplate that fits the 81 engine but has a dual bolt pattern for the convertor. He needs to make sure that he buys the correct diameter flexplate though so his starter still works.

6. daleearnhardt01

Thanks for the help Scott, I was hoping you'd reply to this thread. Anyways I was just told that apparently this isnt the real problem, he cant even get the tranny flush against the block, closest he can get is about 1 1/2" away.

Im guessing the convertor isnt all the way on the input or something else goofy is going on. I really wish I could see it for myself..

7. 4X4HIGH

The first thought is that the convertor isn't installed all the way but that would only make it not fit by about 3/8" -1/2" or so. Have him look at the back of the crank to see if there is a pilot bushing for a manual tranny still in the end of the crank and possibly giving him a problem. Some convertors have a double nub on the end of the convertor and i'll bet this is the case and not allowing the convertor to engage the end of the crankshaft.

8. daleearnhardt01

That could very well be the case, all this is in a FJ60 Crusier and he had the 350 in there for a while with the stock Toyota manual trans bolted up to it. Hopefully thats all it is...

9. 4X4HIGH

Fairly certain now that is his problem. :thumb: