Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81-87 cab, 73-80 front clip: Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Oct 11, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I have a chance to pick up a 1985 or so cab in good shape, but I already have a 1973-80 entire front clip. I know that in the region of the cowl, the 81-87 cab hood hinges slip in holes, instead of bolting to the front fenders on 73-80. I've seen an article or two on bolting the 81-87 front clips on earlier style cabs, but not vice versa.

My question is: Does the 73-80 front clip bolt on the 81-87 cab, and if not, what modifications are necessary?

Thanks for any advice! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had a truck that had the 73-79 front clip with an 81 cab. I bought it like that so I don't know for sure what is involved with the switch over. It looks like all that needs done though is to remove the metal cowl around the windshield wipers and bolt it on.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

hey mike, its adam from jerry's house...anyway, no help here, but you could ask this question at www.67-72chevytrucks.com in the 73-87 section, there are some real knowledgeable guys over there.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Usually no one goes backwards, but if you have everything from the firewall foreward, it will work.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the 80 and older cabs have hex head studs (for lack of better terms) that pull the back of the hood down as it closes. if you dont that them, you most likely will never get a good fender to hood body line. if its just a wheeling rig thats going in the bush, i wouldnt work a bit about it.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

read the tech article. Looks like its all there.

tech write up