Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81-87 Dana 60 tie-rod length?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by realsquash, Sep 5, 2000.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Well my truck frowns at everything now because I done bent my tierod! When I swapped in the Dana 60, I reused the Dana 44 tie-rod, but I had to cut about 1.25" off the long half. I want to use the 81-87 style that has both removable ends, but I can't find one from the j-yard from a 60! My question... Is the 81-87 1/2 or 3/4 ton center tube the same as the 60 tube? I was planning on buying new ends anyways, and I hope I can use the 1/2 ton tube. TIA.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

2. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I too have bent a tie rod or two! Make one! I used inch and a half schedule 80 over 3/4", two rod ends and you are done! If ya wanna really be slick, DOM tubing is even better. Then you can tap the ends with threads instead of welding the ends on. If you go rod ends, you will have to drill your tapered holes out on the steering knuckles. Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I'm actually going to be moving the tie-rod up on top of the knuckles along with a crossover conversion, so I thought if I used one of these $20 tie-rods to get me through for a month or so I could reuse it on the crossover with rod-ends.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash