Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81-99 BLAZERS driveline tech

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drivelineman, Jun 22, 2001.

1. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

okay- i got an e-mail today- frustrated guy- has the usual 85 blaze with 6" lift and needs a c/v -208 transfercase i told him that there was not a great way to do it- he got a little upset- here's the deal - that c/v type comes off a cadillac early style and simply sucks - not good for angle and has a short slip yoke and also short splines inside - causing bottom out problems and pull out problems - so i say this guys what is all your input if your running this type of c/v on your 208? mine is not real good - so lets get going on a short shaft kit for the 208 - i'm trying - I JUST HATE DOIND CHEESY STUFF AND SAYING OH IT SHOULD BE OKAY- by the way some shops offer these welded conversions ( cast iron to steel) what a rip off not worth a penny i say-

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

YES!! Please keep working on the short-shaft, fixed-yoke 208 conversion! That cool shaft-mounted e-brake would be nice, too...

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

got the proto type in my shop - laser cut- its sweet- more info soon- offerd as a parking brake too-

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There's just got to be a way. I hope someone finds one soon so I can lift mine 6-8 inches.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 06/23/01 02:56 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

kill 2 birds with one stone GET A np205!

"The more Beer , The Harder the Trail!"

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have a 205 in my garage, taking up space right now. I won't be putting a fire-breathing motor in my truck anytime soon, so the 205 would be kinda overkill for me. Plus, I like the lower low-range and the ability to shift on the fly of my 208.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

208 might have a better low range...but I do shift my 205 on the fly. In fact it shifts from 2 hi to 4 hi better if I'm moving. Either T-case you'll have to stop to shift into 4Low.

I might not have a big block or 44" boggers but I do like some piece of mind while out wheeling. Hell if I wreck a rear driveshaft I can just remove the wreckage and drive home on the front end...not having a slip yoke I won't be puking all my T-case fluid on the ground.

If all that wasn't good enough I can twin stick the 205. [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Those are valid reasons to use the 205 but it's not always easy to find one that fits. I'm looking for one right now and still haven't found it. Need the late mode 32 spline version that bolts up to the TH400 or SM465, round 6 bolt pattern to bolt to my NV4500. As someone once said, it's what I need to do to be Bulletproof!

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Bingo, Sparky. I'd have to do the 700R4-disassemble-then-reassemble thing, find the right adapter, come up with a crossmember, new driveshafts for both ends, cobble up a speedo drive, yaddayaddayadda...
    For the wheeling I do, it's just not worth it. Now if I ever have the opportunity to go nuts and really build my K5 into a bruiser, I'll probably use my 205 (if I still have it).

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

If I do the short shaft conversion on my NP241; can I get a "good" 1350 CV driveshaft then? My problem is that I don't want to go to the NP205!! Yes, I said don't! I'm already losing some of my crawl ratio swapping in a TH400 in place of my 700R4 & don't want to further reduce it by ditching the 2.72 of the NP241 for the 205's 1.98:1. Strength of the NP241 is not an issue in my case as the 241's guts can handle the torque & the case will be well protected from being cracked open.

Can the 1350CV be done Jesse??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

P.S. I'll call you again Monday morning & thanks for returning my call on Friday past.

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

12. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Jesse,
    I wanted to say thanks again for that extremely fast turn around on my driveshft. It really looks great and I got it all put together and will be heading to Florida this week. When I am ready to replace my front driveshaft with a 1350 I will give you a call.
    Russ