Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 Dodge 1 ton axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are the axles out of a dodge 1 ton any good? Could I make them fit under my Blazer (maybe just the front and use a 14 bolt rear). I saw a add for one for sale for $400 near me and it runs. Would it be worth the trouble to strip the axles and sell the truck for scrap?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well yes. If it is a pass. side input front 4x4 axle. It should be a D60. Dodge did something weird for their 1 tons in the early to mid 80s though. Listing the vehilce as GVWR less than 3500lbs gives you a D44 and over that weight is a D60. The rear should be a D60. Shock mounts and spring perches are the only other consideration. If you are picking these up for only 400 your getting a deal.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Mabye not. The Dodge 60s will not line up under the front springs (I have heard of some people using a ratchet strap to bring the springs closer together so it will work but these are the same guys with coat hangers holding they're glasspacks up) and they have the crappy selectro hubs. The rear would need to have the spring pads and the shock tabs moved and I have no idea how you would hook up the parking brake cables. I think some one on here is running dodge axles in a K5. The dodge 60s are cheaper than chevy 60s because they're not as strong. A chevy 60 may cost a grand but theres not many out there to start with (remember supply and demand from high school?). They're bulletproof, have better locking hubs and wheel bearings and the bolt up under your truck. The Dodge axles may be cheaper to get in your garage but by the time they're in your truck you could have bought a chevy 60. To put the rear in you would have to move the spring pads and shock tabs and I dont know how you would hook up the parking brake cables but I have seen it done.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I should have known it was too good to be true.
    I'll just keep looking for the "right stuff".
    Thanks for the quick responces.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Dodge axles will fit, I have 2 buddies w/Dodges that put in Chevy axles, both on '77s. The spring perches are close enough, may take a little persuation though. If the price is right, go for it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There's a VERY compeditve pulling truck here, it's a Suburban, and it has axles from an early '80s Dodge 1 ton.

It's a Dana 80 rear, Dana 60 front.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles