Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 Jimmy keeps stalling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burn, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Burn

Burn Newbie

My 81 Jimmy will stall periodically when I come to a stop. It will then restart, have to floor the gas pedal usually /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif , but it won't run properly it will sputter for a while and I have to keep the RPMs up. Usually seems to clear up after a few minutes however, the other day it would restart but would not keep running i had to come back the next day to get it. I replaced the distributor (no more ESC), fuel pump & fuel filter the problem existed before and after this. I rebuilt the carb in Feb because of a leaking float and it ran fine after. Just wondering if anyone could give me somewhere to look. I'm thinking maybe EGR or Vaccuum leak??? Any thoughts would be appreciated TIA /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

take the vacuum hose connecting the egr solenoid and the egr valve off. Put a vaccum plug ( or piece of hose with screw inserted) back onto the solenoid where the hose was at. I put a plug on the egr valve too, but I don't kow if it is 100% necessary to that or not. Drive the truck, and see if it cures your stalling problem. If it does, the egr solenoid is bad and needs replacing.

After replacing the solenoid (and hooking the vacuum line back up between the solenoid and the egr valve), drive your truck down the highway for a good 30-45 minutes. If your check engine light comes on, (does your even have a computer?) - it may give you an egr valve code too. In this case, the valve needs replacing too.

That fixed mine anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Changing the solenoid fixed my stalling, but it wasn't until a week or 2 later that I went on a little trip that I got a code for the egr valve (guess my temp wasn't get up enough just driving around town). replaced that and it has been fine ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Choke not coming off or EGR.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I vote for the EGR, just disconnect the line and plug the hose with a bolt.

5. Burn

Burn Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks so much for the input i will try unplugging the EGR.

It does it after it has been run for awhile so i don't think it's a choke problem