Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 k20 brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96broncoman, Mar 31, 2007.

1. 96broncoman

96broncoman Newbie

I am upgrading my dana 44 to have 8 lug outers. i am using from the spindle out from an 81 k20 and i had a question about the brakes. The calipers i have are for the jd6 system and hte brake pads too. they dont seem to fit. the inside brake pad is too thick it seems and the caliper mounting holes arent as far apart as the mounting holes on the caliper bracket. should i get all the jd7 parts??? will it fit better yall think?? i was just stumped, thanks--Chad.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the jd6 and jd7 outside of the calipers are the same, the only difference is the piston size. so it should bolt to the caliper bracket. also k20s came with both jd6 and jd7 brake systems and use the same bracket.

the pads i believe are the same, can't remember right off hand. the difference would not be in the thickness, sounds like you need to push the piston back in a bit further.

3. 96broncoman

96broncoman Newbie

I think i found out why the caliper wont bolt up, i have to do somemore grinding on my knuckle.

I am still stumped on the brake pad thing though. it wont even fit between the caliper bracket and the rotor, even if the caliper is not in the equation. is it possible that i have the rotor on too far?? the inner pads have some sort of silver tab on one end and i was wondering does it need to be towards the tops or bottom of the caliper, because im not sure. any more help would be great, thanks.

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

you did swap the backing plates also right? they are different.

5. 96broncoman

96broncoman Newbie

here is a pic of the brackets i am using.
    [​IMG]
    i cant figure out whats wrong.