Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 K5 Tranny question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DYOLLP, Mar 5, 2003.

1. DYOLLP

DYOLLP Registered Member

Hi,

I have an 81 K5 with the original 350 motor. The motor leaks oil like crazy and is weak going up hills and sometimes smokes. I am thinking of droping in a new 350. Should I worry about the original tranny? If the tranny goes out should I have it rebuilt or replace it?

Thank you,
    Peter /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If it needs it, rebuild it. You're in luck, as 1981s used TH350 trannys, which are about 1/3 the cost to rebuild versus a TH700"junk"4 tranny. Thank your lucky stars you don't have a 700r4!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

giving a newb the totally wrong impression about the 700.

good trans, great gears, spensive to rebuild, awesome to wheel

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I did enjoy the 700r4 that I had in my 90 GMC pickup, but it let me down like it has so many others before me. It blew up while I was leaving THE TACO BELL PARKING LOT!!!! No... it couldn't blow up while I was wheeling or anything cool like that, it had to go while I was pulling into traffic. It was so lame... started holding the shifts until like 4k rpms and just dumping the gear... next day... no shiftie /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yep...I went through SIX 700s before wising up and swapping it out for a TH400. No more transmission worries for me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif