Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

81 pickup with 350 oldsmobile diesel, white electric box on driver side

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Jul 31, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok in 81 some of the trucks had a 350 oldsmobile diesel engine in them with auto trans and hydroboost brakes steeering

ive got one thats got a little white rectangle electric component on the driver side wheel tub underhood near the starter solenoid

you have to take one of the wires from the component and run it to + batt cable at the solenoid in order to crank the engine over to start it,

the glow plugs run off the ford styel solenoid, it is mounted on fender at top of wheel tub over there,

what could be wrong with the truck as to why it wont crank over with key switch ?

the electric ignition switch bad or what ?

would switch from an 82 gas 350 engine column work ?

thanks for anything

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

350 olds diesel? burn it to the ground? sorry I know that wasn't helpful but its the truth about those motors...

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well its either that or i have to get a 78 ford f150 4x4 thats junk body shape and needs hella lot more work done

whats so bad about 350 olds diesel ? ive never come across any issues related to them, this one is in very nice good shape and been taken care of all cept for it needs this white box thingy fixed or something i dunno how this stuff works on diesels, no clue, all i know is that diesles run on diesel fuel and have no spark plugs

but anyways i need ot find out what that white plastic rectangle electrical component is over on driver side right by the solenoid at the fender

how can i find out, or where ? i have to find out, i dont wanna have to scrap the whole damn truck just cuz cant find out what the heck the stupid thing is, is a nice truck, blue cloth deluxe silverado and all

but if i have to,.......

crunch,,

doesnt anyone know wher ei can learn real quick the basics of how diesel starting and ignition works or ? namely early 80s GM with 5.7L diesel ?

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Dood, if you're gonna crunch that for something dumb, let me know and I'll be there in a heartbeat with a trailer! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sounds like a bad ignition swith or you neutral safty swith could be out of position

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like a bad ignition swith or you neutral safty swith could be out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what im hoping it is, they always say to suspect a component before wiring, well in this 81 the wiring is all intact and very nice unchopped ni any way or form, so i cant suspect wiring anyways,

but to figure out what and how to correct this is the next thing to overcome,

im probably just gonna have to rmeove the column and work on it and hope that gas engine column parts are same as 5.7L diesel ones..

where can i find details on how to check and adjust switches on 81-82 c/k series auto trans columns ? i know this info is on the net somewhere in several places, hmm.,.

i get frustrated very easily with things anymore these days after all the crap thats happened in the last couple years, i dont put up with too much crap in life anymore without saying screw it, i never used to be anywhere close to like that, i used to put up with every little thing for virtually ever, up until end of '02 or so. then snap i went thanks to life occurances! so if i cant get this corrected without too much trouble and before my nerves fray over it then bye bye truck to cruncher, everyone else around here scraps all the trcks and stuff too , so much so that there isnt anything left and i dont even care anymore, i used to care alot, all these vehicles are destined for scrapper anyways, most of them have already been taken there anyways, uncommon to see any chevy trucks now, its bad, those of you on this forum who have bneen here and seen what my neighbors and such have and will scrap know what i am talking about, thats why i dont even care much anymore about vehicles and junk, this stuff all used to be my life and was all i ever did, but now its all different and downhill, im now at a point wher ei hate working on vehicles and am jaded and i dunno,

thanks for anything

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Randy-san, I would respectfully submit that you should consider medication, either from a professional, or of the the self-administered fermented-grain variety /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, did you not read my above post? If you scrap it I will be severely pissed as I need a cheap truck to drive this winter, so PLEASE get with me before you do that! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif