Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82-91 full top conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Jun 16, 2000.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever converted an 82-91 blazer/jimmy in a full top ( only produced between 73-75)? If so,
    what all was involved? How did it turn out?

baldbandit

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

There are some structural differences in the full-top and half-top bodies. In the long run, it would probably be much easier and cheaper to just sell your newer blazer and fix up an old one.

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I know that the newer front clip will fit, but can you cut the 80's style doors to fit? I would like to use
    newer (rust free) doors and door panels.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, check out "Project Money Pit" under the project vehicles link at the top of this page, Robbie cut the top on his 79 to a full conv. One thing to keep in mind is if you are going to wheel it hard is all the flex that comes with the full conv, the full tops really flex, you need to really stiffen them up with a good roll-cage like Robbie has done.

Steve

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You will need rocker boxes to support the tub where the roof was cut, i am missing these (rust) so my tub can't support itself. my soft top is collecting dust in the garage and it's 90 degrees out</font color=blue>

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just did this very thing to my 76' last week.I'm not sure what part of the body the others are talking about.But other then the roof there was no difference in the tub between my 76 and a freinds 75 witch was factory no roof.Unlike project money pit i found a window frame from a 74.First thing i did was cut the pillars behind the doors then cut window frame up high.Windshield was removed before hand.Took all the measurements about 6 times.Then sliced the two frames together welded and grinded the seams.I did this in one weekend.The only thing left too do is cap the hole behind the door.This will make it exactly like the 73-75 years.Just two days ago i got a hard top for 73-75.It bolted right on same holes all around.But mine is a 76 soo that might make a differnece.Just matters how much you want it.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I screwed up and didn't take any pictures though out the process.But i'm taking pictures tommorow and will post them.The window frame turned out very good.You can't even tell where i spliced it unless you run your finger down it.I didn't use any bondo just welded it a little high then grinded down.

9. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

By the way i totally agree with the need of a full cage.That is my next item on the wish list.All i have right now is the stock roll bar.

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

It's pretty easy to cut down newer doors to fit, thats what I've done on mine. Just cut them a little big and then trim them down for the final fit.