Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 BLAZER 6.2 DIESEL TO GAS 350 OR 454 CONVERSION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by josephn, Nov 3, 2000.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

MY 82 BLAZER RECENTLY BLEW A HEAD GASKET AND IN THE PROCESS OF REMOVING THE HEADS FOUND THE THEY WERE WARPED, I ALSO DISCOVERED THAT TWO OF MY GLOW PLUG ENDS BURNED OFF AND SCARRED UP THE CYLINDERS AND PISTIONS PRETTY GOOD, I NEVER LIKED THE DIESEL ENGINE MUCH ANYWAY AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD EXPERIANCE SWAPPING A DIESEL ENGINE TO GAS AND WHAT IT INTAILS. I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO A 350 OR A 454 BB.
    THANKS.
    JOE

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I gotta do this....

BBBBOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I got a Diesel...it runs like sh1t! I get 27 mi/gal, no tailgaters (hit the throttle and watch the smoke, they choke and get off yer butt), Diesel is cheaper than gas and it goes over 400,000 mi if you take care of it!!!

I would suggest looking into rebuilding that Diesel before you goto a gas guzzling 454 that gets a mere 8 mi/gal and will only last a few 100,000 if that!!!

I know what you are thinking!! You don't have the acceleration that you have with a gas and your top speed is reduced. You have to clean your back window a bit more cuz of the soot, and your mama complains about the loud noise!!!! Gelling? Never had it cuz I have only had it 2 months and it hasn't gotten that cold yet. Thats what a simple additive is for!!

You will probably install some huge loud a$$ muffler that you can barely talk to the person next to you and you probably won't be able to see out your back window anyway from the mud!!!

Trust me on this one....no one gets in my way...loud a$$ Diesel, K5(TANK) and a heavy foot. Stick with the Diesel. If you don't want it sell it to me and I will build another and sell it to a trucker who know how long a Diesel will last!!

...nuf for now.....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I have to admit it started better than any gas engine that had as many miles on it(310,000 mi.) but have had about as much as I can take of the freeky diesel fumes(namely in the summer with the back off sitting at a red light, or crawling up a hill, winter didn't matter cause windows were never down). I was only interested in the 454 with fuel injection of some sort. I still wouldn't get the gas mileage or the long life of the diesel but am looking for a change and the few extra horse power would be welcome.

As for cleaning the soot off of the back window I never really had that problem that bad at all. And as for putting a loud a$$ muffler on the 454 I don't think so, I prefer to be able to carry on a conversation while I drive. But till I have a little more money I am also looking at pulling a 5.7 TPI engine, tranny, and computer out of a camaro. It is pretty cheap.

What I really need to know is if there is if I have to get a new fuel tank and lines, I know I have to get a different filter and pump but not sure if I can just have the tank drained and cleaned with something to get rid of the diesel fuel. Also need to know If I will have to get new fuel lines if I go to gas.

I would just like to get it going because the body is great no rust at all and is really fun to drive. So any ideas would be apreciated.

4. Big56Truck

Big56Truck Registered Member

that is a pretty easy swap--you do have to drain the diesel out of the tank-change filters--the only other thing is the difference in the brake booster/power steering pump--the lines on the diesel brake booster go to the power steering pump somehow--i took an 83 chevy disel truck body and put it on a 75 4x4 truck frame..seems like I tried to use the diesel brake booster and brazed a fitting on my power steering pump-worked for a little bit--but ended up getting the right booster and pump. should not be too much wiring changes(you will have wires left over though) hope this sheds some light maybe some of the experts will build upon this...good luck whichever way you decide to go! (p.s. a little diesel in the lines won't hurt that much..will smoke a bit at first--it is when you try to put gas in a diesel is when you run into problems!!)

5. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your help I really apreciate it.

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would love to have your old engine .I guess you either love them or hate them .It's going to be an easy swap .I think you can even use the same exhaust .Do drain the tanks and the lines .I think the mounts are the same and you can use the wire for the injector pump on the distributer for you hot wire . If you go fuel injection use the fuel return line for the fuel return on the injection system .You will probably have to change you power steering and alternater brackets and air if you have it .I also think you might need a smaller radiator ?? Hope this helps let me know if you have more questions . I would still love to have your engine ???

7. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

i have an 85 k5 that used to be diesal.i didnt do the swap but i might be able to help.the only way you can tell mine was a diesal is to check tthe vin#.the guy that did mine did a very good job.

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey 6.2....I begged for his engine first :>
    What ya going to do with it 6.2? I am going to rebuild it in my spare time so I have some understanding of internal engines a bit better.
    I will post later on my ideas of the Diesel converstion...I saw a huge manual once......

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

9. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well that was my plan too and use it later for myself . I didn't read far enough into your post to see you asked first .
    Sorry
    SK-15

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

i did the exact swap your describing on my 83 jimmy, I put in a 350, you can keep the diesel mufflers, the torque converter, the radiator,(don't go smaller,in my opinion you can never have too much cooling) the fan of the 350 fits perfectly in the diesel shroud, the motor mounts and location are identical. As for the power steering pump and hydroboost brake set up....keep it, it is a superior braking system. All you have to do is press the old pulley from the diesel pump and get it out of its diesel bracket. Find a gas motor 350 bracket and put the pump body in it. It works perfectly. You will have to cut the firewall to get in the distributer. keep the dual battery set up, the gas motor will start as soon as the key is turned. I put flowtech headers on, and attached them to the dual exhaust I had on the truck already. The swap was basically academic. Having had both set ups I enjoy the gas motor a hell of a lot more. Thats your decision though. Your mileage will suffer, I easily cut my mileage in half with the gas motor. If you have any questions at all let me know i'll be happy to help.............js

11. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

See the message I left of 6/23/00 at 10:42 pm re the problems I have on the 454 swap I am involved in. AS to date, the Blazer sits........I cannot get the 700R TV cable in my exisiting 1983 to work with the 1993 454 with TBI......I am looing at other tranny / transfer case options. money money money....

I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN, AND, I FEEL I HAVE A P.O.S. THAT WILL CONTINUE TO GIVE ME WORK THE REST OF ITS LIFE...

Love,

rezlaB

Built for a purpose.

12. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I will probably keep it to rebuild and sell later however my wife may have a few qualms about me having a spare engine hanging around the garage. So I may be nagged into getting rid of it and if that happens I will contact SK-15 and then you to see if you are still intrested, but for now I will keep it.

13. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your engine for the swap, another blazer or something else.

14. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

What donor car/truck engine would be the best to use as far as a fuel injected(not tbi) 350 engine?
    I an seriously thinking about a complete 350 TPI engine and transmission(4L60E) from a 87 Camaro for $785 with 100,000 miles on it. Any thoughts?

15. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I had an Lt1 from a corvette that I had in a 3/4 ton suburban for a while. A just rv cammed it and edlebrock carbed and intaked it, and put her right in. any 350 will do. As for the problem one of you guys is having with your TV cable and your 454 TBI motor. I neglected to mention. You MUST change that diesel TV cable to a gas one. I went right to chevy and told them it was for an 83 Jimmy 350 with the 700, It works perfectly. See if you can make the TV cable from a 454, 700r4 suburban work with your blazer set up, The cable was like 20 bucks..........js

16. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK THERE ARE MORE INTENSE THINGS TO THINK ABOUT A FRIEND OF MINE JUST DID THE SWAP BUT HE OVER LOOKED SUMTHING THE TRANY PUMP IF ITS AN AUTO YOULL WANT TO CHANGE IT DO TO THE DIFF IN THE RPM GAS ROTATES FASTER IF U DONT CHANGE IT WILL BLOW THE FRONT SEAL ON THE TRANNY . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I have done it about four years ago and never ever will own a diesel engine powered truck again... Did not know about the tranny pump though will have look into it smoked reverse about a year ago. Had to get another. Bought two trannies to keep one as a spare.. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. K5KIDDO

K5KIDDO Newbie

currently in the middle of this swap.. I had a 6.2 with the bank turbo setup..previous owner burnered up a piston.. I purchased another 6.2 (barnfind) for parts and then just said screw it.. and bought a 350. this was very helpful I thought I was going to have to switch everything over to a booster setup and now this has saved me a few bucks.. thanks.... I have one question thou....whats the best torq conveter I should use if I plan to run 33-35's? kinda off topic a lil sorry.

19. paratrooper307

paratrooper307 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For the torque converter, it depends on how you have the truck set up and what you want out of it. If you have a stock or 4x4/RV cam and a relatively mild engine, a stock converter for a 350 is probably the best choice, since your torque bias should be towards the lower end of your RPM range if you're running a lift and bigger tires. Basically you match the coverter to the torque profile of your cam and motor, that's why the diesel converter stall is really too low for a 350.

I don't think anybody mentioned it, but if you aren't changing the transmission, make sure you swap out the governer to a gas unit, or you'll have problems with your shifting.

The diesel with a Banks kit on it is a good find. I think you'd discover that the performance is roughly equivalent to a 350 and better on fuel, but if you're set on going gas, have at it!

20. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Do you have any interest in selling the engine or the Banks kit? I have been thinking of turbo-ing something in my fleet...