Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 Blazer 6.2L Possible Purchase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusty79beast, Mar 5, 2005.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

I am looking at buying a 1982 Blazer with the 6.2L diesel in it. First question is what do you guys think it's worth? It has no rust, it is primered grey (not sure why, possibly faded paint??) The owner is the second owner, and says it has never been in an accident, and from the body, I would agree. The volt meter doesn't work, the cruise doesn't work, the fuel gauge doesn't show full when full, the windshield's cracked, the interior is pretty shot, the transmision shifts fairly hard. He says it has a shift kit, but I think it's just an old transmission. What is a shift kit anyways?? Doesn't it just shift at a later rpm?? It has a 126,000 miles on it, the steering is a little loose. So I guess the big question is what do you guys think it's worth, and I've never owned a diesel before, so what are the pros and cons? My plans would be to put a lift on it and 35-38" tires in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time :D

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I would buy it and slap the 6.2 in my DD :grin:

Course that doesn't help you much. When I go to buy a vehicle from a private owner I start very low. Don't tell him what you plan to do with it. As you look at it start mentally (but out loud) ticking off the problems and what you think you'll be spending to get it where you want it. It doesn't sound road ready, a salvage yard may give $200. Find out what he wants and offer half then go from there. And unless there are receipts believe nothing about any internal mods that can't be visibly seen such as an engine rebuild or tranny shift kit.

EDIT: just noticed more of your post. The diesel will be great for off road. But keep in mind for the size tires you want to run you're going to want to upgrade to 1 ton axles. I've seen what happens to 1/2 ton axles on 38s (shrapnel blew out the diff cover, course he was running a 400hp motor). A 1 ton rear can be had pretty cheap, maybe $100-$200 foran open 14bff. But the front can cost you $500(if you're lucky)-$1500 for a D60. Keep this in mind when you decide how much you are willing to pay for this K5.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as the transmission goes...does it shift firm or violently hard? A tranny that shifts firm could have a shift kit and is a good thing. Usually worn out old transmissions shift sloppy.

The diesel is fine, 20+ mpg is a wonderfull asset to the 6.2. The fuel injection would help off camber but it's not an overly powerfull engine in stock form. Don't expect a ton of acceleration from it. It is also more expensive to work on than a gas engine but also lasts twice as long. From what I have gathered I probably would't give a whole lot more than 12-1,500 bucks.

4. rusty79beast

He had the ad in the paper for 3000 obo, but I was thinking more on the lines of 800-1000. The blue book for dat blaze is $803 for the private party value in average condition. I told him his price was way too high, and he kept telling me to make an offer, but I still need to find a way to get it home to WI from here in California! The cheapest door to door transport I found was about $800. Do you guys know of another way to get it home? I have a 2000 Silverado half ton, regular cav, short box Z71 with the 4.8L V8 in it as a possible tow vechicle. From what the Uhaul people told me was that da blaze was too heavy for their trailers :mad: Any other ideas on getting it home or what it's worth, or more pros, cons on da diesel?? You guys rock :saweet: Thanks for all your help :)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My initial thought when I read the description was in the $1200-$1500 neighborhood too. Blue book on older vehicles is rarely a good tool for guaging actual market value.

Bobby (rjfguitar) pretty much nailed everything else.

One possibility for transport is to fly out and drive it back yourself.

Rene

6. rjfguitar

I'd like to second that one. With newer vehicles it's more cut and dry but with older vehicles there are so many more years that things could have been changed, modified, upgraded, and trashed.

I'd also like to add that the 6.2 is a darned good little motor, I didn't make that clear in my first post. It is a very reliable engine, it's just a lower output engine vs. the newer diesels.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Three Grand!!!

Man,If he can get three grand for it,I'm selling my 82 diesel K20 for more!--The K5 is worth a grand to possibly 2 grand IF its rust free and in good running condition,but still is almost 25 years old!--elegible for antique plates in my state!--my truck was in need of some work when I got it,it didnt run,and the motor was just installed(boneyard replacement)and the guys who did the work were clueless about diesels,I got it from a friend who deals in wholesale used cars and trucks,mostly older trade ins from dealerships his freinds fater owns--I paid less than 500 for my 82,had I bought it from anyone else it would have been in the 1000-1500 dollar range(especially if it would have started and ran,thats why my truck went cheap!--nobody wanted to fool with the diesel--their loss!-my gain!:D ).

If it was a lot closer and less money I'd say its a good deal,but those miles and the high price would discourage me from buying it--the tranny may be shifting hard due to the vacuum pump or its switch that controls vacuum to the modulator on the tranny is messed up(assuming it has a TH400 or TH350,if its an overdrive 700R4 it doesnt have a modulator,and might be getting ready to crap out..)..

the "laundry list" of other things needed like the interior,gauge problems and other stuff is fairly minor,but for 3 grand I'd expect all that to be in decent if not excellent shape,the rust free body is a plus,but not worth that much in my opinion...
    If you keep your eyes open,you will probably see a similar K5 for a lot less--I passed up two pickups at local scrapyards for 500 bucks,and one had a 6.2 and a rare 4 speed tranny(an overdrive!) and NP241 case in it,the other was a K30 with a dana 60 and a 454 that knocked for the same price without the motor,500 more with it...I was stupid not to grab them for parts,both were solid useable trucks but had title problems(they could have gotten me a salvage one though)----

I dunno,it seems like a long trip and a lot of work to get it for that price if you ask me...Ive seen quite a few diesel chevy's get junked for no reason other than the owner got pissed at it because they couldt get it started and were late for work too many times!(Due to them never changing glow plugs,or no knowing how to "overide" them with a switch)--I just about cry every time I see a K5.Suburban or Pickup with a diesel in the boneyard just because the "average Joe" doesnt understand how they run,or his wife hated the noise and smell--it seems a lot of them get crushed in the winter after a cold spell,and the owners had enough of hard starts(again,not usually the trucks fault!,most of the owners didnt even plug in the block heater 90% of the time--then blamed the truck when it wouldn't start!)..:crazy:

8. rusty79beast

Yeah, I was thinking of paying 1000 tops. It does have the 700r4 w/overdrive trans. The thing is, where I'm from it's hard to come across a rust free body for a decent price. That is the main thing I want, a rust free body! It just happens to be a diesel, and I've never owned one of them. One more question would be that I have a 86 K5 w/ a 305 & 700r4 that is pretty much rotted out, but runs great! Would it be possible to use parts like the transmission/transfer case from the 86 gasser into the 82 diesel?? Any help or comments are appreciated!! Thanks :D

9. rjfguitar

All the running gear is the same pretty much. Axles, shafts, and tcase should swap over no prob as long as they are the same model(208). The transmission is basically the same also besides the shift governor and torque converter.

10. rusty79beast

oops, sent that twice