Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 chevy 1 ton 4x4 F/S UPDATED may 22 w/ pics

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, May 11, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, this is the truck i have been looking for. Been a long time to. Anyway, 6.2L 400/205 14B D60 4.10 gears open diffs 55k and from what i know that is nothing for these truck. Drives good, everything works. (205 was PIA to get in and out of gear) other then that was good. Starts fast. Cab is ok, needs corners, bed is shot. Crap paint job done to it.Any thing else you guys can tell me? 82 OK year for the 6.2? Here is where i need help. Is there a way i can tell if 55k is right? the guy also seams very pushy. Like in a rush. Something does not feel right. He is asking 3k for it. First truck i am looking at in a while. any help woild be great! :)

thx mike

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Usually when a seller is pushy they are trying to rush you past something. I'd really low ball him with a cash offer expecting the worst out of the truck (like body full of putty for your area).

Did you check the cab with a magnet? Crawl under it and check the floor boards and rockers? If the bed is rusty the cab should be just as bad unless something has been fixed (but how good?).

Break out a 5/8 wrench and check the 205 oil level. It is probably low if it is hard to shift. Is the drivers seat showing any wear? Springs broke down and saggy on the drivers side? switches showing wear? If it were really 55K original miles it would look like new in the cab.

3. 84CUCV

Yes, i did. Went all over with a magnet. Cab and front clip are ok. Bed is done thow. I think i will lowball him and see where i can go with it. Now that i think about it the seat is shot. I will check the 205.

thx mike

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I doubt you will find any of these trucks with 50K original miles, but I did find my '79 K10 with 90K original about 2 years ago... Got it from a friend at work who was the grandson of the original owner. It looked imaculate inside and out when I bought it. My friend had completely detailed it and buffed out the paint so it shined again. Original vinyl seat was only starting to seperate on the very edge of the drivers side. Dash was perfect except for my friend installing a CD player and cutting out the dash (but he did a clean job on the install). Rubber floor mats were still in great shape too with a few minor tears around the tranny hump.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, pedals are another indicator of mileage. At 55K they shouldn't show hardly any wear, at 155K they should be worn somewhat, and by 255K they should be pretty badly worn. 255K would not surprise me with an 82 diesel one ton...that's only 10,625 miles per year and pretty much what you'd expect. With the fuel mileage they get people don't mind racking up the miles either, because it's not so hard on the wallet as a BBC truck would be.

55K should also have a lot less body problems, gotta figure max would be about 20K of that in the snow and salt.

I'd bet 255K myself, and make an offer accordingly.

Rene

6. 84CUCV

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Why not just keep the M1028 you have Mike?

Did you find this truck on Ebay? It is on there right now if you didn't.

8. 84CUCV

Well, to tell you the truth. I am really SICK of the cucvs. Just my luck i guess. They all have problems with the wiring. the one i am going to keep is going to a pro for it. Ijust dont know how to do this crap. Also i am tierd of trying to find a 205 for the 400 and when i do its like 700 they want for everything, i just think that nuts. so i was going to try for this. Beats the hell out of me anymore. I am getting to the point where i just might let go of all of it. I guess im just not good at it or some crap like that.........

mike

9. tRustyK5

That interior screams 255,000 miles to me...as do the pedals. My truck has 230,000 on it and the pedals covers are still all there and in decent shape. I see the one pic where the brake one is completely gone.

Wiring frustrates me too mike, but not enough to do anything drastic like sell all of my junk. I'd still consider buying that truck...but I'd lowball him for sure.

Rene

10. 84CUCV

yea i hear you there. Wiring sucks. :frown1: Not just that crap thow. I owe out a lot of cash and its getting to me. just like everyone i guess. I thought that truck was not right the more and more i thought about it. Still wants like 2k on think i might pass, unless he want some of the stuff i have now. I will see....

mike

11. tRustyK5

Well, The running gear is worth $2K by itself...maybe more. 60/14 combo is in the $1200-$1600 range. TH400/205 is a sought after combo that usually goes for between $500 and $700. Then there is all the little parts and the 6.2 yet.

At $2K I'd be sorely tempted as long as it ran and drove OK.

Rene

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If he already came down to $2k, why not offer him $12-13 for it, if he bites, your up :thumb:

13. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

LOOK at the dash pic again, it says 5,558.5 miles, not 55K.
    The white number is tenths of a mile. I would guess it has 205K or even 305K miles on it.

I would still offer him the $1200 for it, and be sure to point this out!!

343860602HSBReD_ph.jpg

14. 84CUCV

Thanks for the replys guys. I might try for this truck, but i just went to a show and came back with a sweet M1 grand. So yea, need more cash first. Steve, thanks never even saw it. :crazy:

thx mike

15. 84CUCV

Well, i offerd him 16 for it. he is not even sure how many miles are on it. He said no way. I thought that was fair. Guess not. oohh well thanks for the help guys

thx

mike