Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 Diesel Blazer, the saga continues...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ReIN4st, Jan 16, 2001.

1. ReIN4st

ReIN4st Registered Member

Well I got a killer deal on this Blazer, I got it for $400. The people I got it from were moving, and they were tired of trying to get it running. The body is straight, black paint job is a few years old. So I worked on it today. I put on new filters, and bled the system, and I got it started. So I proceeded to drive it home from the guys house. While driving it, it had tremendous play in the wheel. When I got home, I realized that half the steering box bolts were gone!!! The box was just floating around. Anyway upon closer inspection, I noticed the frame area there was welded before. So now heres my question: Are these K-5's prone to the frame cracking in this area ?? Not worried about it, I'm just going to reinforce the frame there. Just curious about it. Thanks John

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Whow man, stand back and watch everyone keep going on and on and on about it. Yes they are extremly prone to cracking. You can remedy this problem using a steering brace from Off-Road Design, there should be a link on the main page. It simply attaches near the box and goes to the crossmember next to it for extra stregnth. I would get the frame checked out because contray to popular belief, welding does not always make things stronger. The frame is tempered which allows for maxium stregnth and yet flexibilty. The heat from welding cause the metal to become stronger but more brittle, it will break instead of bend. Sounds like you got a good deal though, Good Luck and welcome to the club [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. ReIN4st

ReIN4st Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to pull off the box, and reinforce that area. I've been reinforcing frames for years, so this shouldn't be a problem....NOW CHECK OUT MY OTHER TRANNY QUESTION POST...........Thanks alot...John