Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 K5 Rear End Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by klowninc89, Feb 22, 2010.

1. klowninc89

klowninc89 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt corp with a gov lock. Chewed up spider gears. The bolt holding the locking pin broke off in carrier. Tried drilling and cannot get it out. Does anyone have any other ideas?? Thanks You MATT

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't know for sure what these used stock........but is this actually a roll pin and not a broke off bolt? I'm sure somebody else can verify.

3. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Dreaming of links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My friend broke that one. He used up 3 reversed drill bits and a torch. It destroyed the carrier but he was replacing it anyway. The trick is to use a slow drill and a lot of lube. Try not to work harden that pin any more than you must. The reverse drill may spin the pin out if you are luckier the we were.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Those lock bolts snap off quite often on GM diffs..a real suck pill to remove in most cases,if your lucky,you can drill it and as stated it might spin out using a left hand drill,or an E-Z out,but beware of breaking the easy-out off or you'll regret it..

I have had to resort to using a large punch on the spider gear pin and a 5 lb.hammer,to drive the spider shaft inwards and snap off the broken lock bolt (hit the shaft with the lock screw facing you ,if you dont it can take a chunk out of the doff case if you drive it "outwards")...then you can spin the diff case 180 degrees and tap the spider shaft out,and then proceed with removing the busted lock screw--often they aren't "tight" and can be weaseled out by using a small screwdriver or punch to spin it out,sometimes welding a blob of mig wire will give you enough of a stub to grab it with and turn it out..Parts stores sell new lock screws ,,

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've posted this info once before but here it is again. A friend of mine invented and patented this tool and it works VERY WELL. They are still available as the person that i posted this info for bought one recently.

http://www.fabbriassociates.com/

6. vince a

vince a Newbie

hey bud i got a question i have a 1985 k5 blazer with gm 10 bolt i was planning to up my gears to 4.56 or 4.88 (35 inch tires) but i dont want my diff to be weak. should i up my diff or just go with the gears and my 10 bolt

7. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have that tool, and have used it many times at work. it has worked every time. no problems.

8. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site, but don't hijack someone else's thread, but to answer your question, bigger tires= bigger axle. Put a 14 bolt under it.

9. vince a

vince a Newbie

My bad new to this still trying to figure it out BUT THANKS FOR THE TIP