Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by terky, Jul 27, 2005.

1. terky

terky Registered Member

I have a chance to get an 82 K5 6.2L for $1500. Here is the description the guy gives.

Diesel, Auto transmission
    Runs great
    New transmission
    Has small skin cancer "rust"
    Needs upholstery
    $1500 trade or barter for weapons or tools
    190,000 miles

Is an 82 going to be a peice of ****? I have an 82 toyota and it isnt that bad of a truck.

My plans are to build this truck with at least a 6" lift and 35" tires. I want to eventually turbo that diesel.

Would this truck be a good buy or should I save my money and get a newer one?

2. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well i like the diesel part. but i have heard that they are utterly slow, but get 16-20 mpg which is nice. thats not bad at all IMO but how much rust? rust is one of my most hated things in a truck. and 192,000 miles isnt bad for that diesel i dont believe. good luck

3. terky

terky Registered Member

I dont really care about how slow it is, im 18 and have decided i have to sell my Eclipse because I get in trouble with it. I dont know how much rust it has. The truck is on the other side of the state so If i drive to go see it i want it for $1100

Will the 700 tranny hold with that many miles on it?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not too bad,,,

It would be better if you could get it for 1000 bucks instead of 1500--ANY 82 truck regardless of make and mileage is likely to need some work--possibly a LOT of it if its got that high a mileage,depending on how good it was maintained--diesels tend to last longer than gas engines,but only if they have routine maintenece performed at regular intervals..the "skin cancer" will likely become holes when you start picking at the "scabs",so be prepared to do some body work...

The 700R4 isn't noted for longevity or durability,especially in the "early" years of its existance--but I've seen quite a few go 200,000 miles with no failures,as long as the fluid got changed ocaisionally..diesels have a lot of tourque,and that can make tranny life shorter...if the upolstery is shot,thats a good indication the rest of the truck might not have been pampered as well--but not always...I'd say get more info,and REALLY look closely at it if you do make the trip to inspect it..rust and motor/tranny condition is most important--seat covers are cheap--injector pumps and rebuilt trannys are not!..also make sure the frame is not cracked near the steering box...

.I love my 82 K20,and I was lucky to get it cheap because it had a motor transplant and the guys who did it could not get the truck to start after the swap,and they got pissed and sold it cheap to a friend,who then sold it to me!--but I've spent my share of dough on it just to get it going and useable,and it still needs more...getting it cheap to start with is always best,but not always possible..I like the fuel mileage and tourque of the 6.2,and the sound of the diesel..plus I can "soot" out any tailgaters! :D

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have a 83 k2500 with a diesel and love it. Bed was rotted out, but it may only have surface rust. It had alot of miles on it, and ran great until I hydrolocked it......... :(

How far is the other side of the state? Can he email you pics? $1500 doesn't sound bad to me. Make sure everything works, lights, wipers, turn signals. Check it all out and make "notes" before you give him a offer. I'd take a creeper with me and roll around under it too. I hate being surprised :o