Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 SM465/NP205?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tys, Mar 17, 2002.

1. tys

tys Registered Member

I picked up an SM465/NP205 recently and was told it came from an 82 K5. I'm putting it into a different vehicle, so I never questioned him. I checked the info page for an 82, and see that the NP205 wasn't available for that year. Anyway I can tell what year my setup is? I'm mostly concerned about getting the correct universals for it. Did these come with CV driveshafts front or rear? I have to use CV for my application and assume the yokes have to change.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the 205 should have a blue tag screwed onto it that will tell you when it was made. <a target="_blank" href=http://lagparty.org/~mike/pix/np205tag.jpg>Here</a> is a pic of mine.. It was made in '77

if you separate the sm465 and np205, you can count the # of splines, it should be either 10 or i think 32 for the later models, that will give you some idea of how old it is.. I dont remember exactly what year they went to the finer splined input, but it should be easy to find out.

It would have never come with a rear CV but from the mid 70's on up, they all had cv front driveshafts (AFAIK)..... and should have a flanged front output, regular yoke on the rear.... unfortunately, the flanged yoke will not be a direct swap with the ujoint style yoke.. there is a different spline count, it will require swapping some of the innards. good luck

mike

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For an '82 K5 to come out with a 465 and 205, that's not possible. '81 started the use of the 208 t-cases.

Sounds like you either got a 205 that was swapped into a K5 from a K30, OR, you got a 208 case and the seller told you it was a 205.

4. tys

tys Registered Member

Well, I guess it could have come from a K30? I don't know for sure because the dude I bought it from lives in another state and hasn't returned any of my email messages. I will go out to the barn in a few minutes and see if the data plate is on it. I know it has fixed yokes front and rear. Anyway to tell which universal will fit this sucka? Trial and Error?

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If its a 1-ton NP205, it uses a 1350 series yoke on the rear output. The joint for this yoke measures 3-5/8" across and has 1-3/16" cups. The front should be a flange.

If it has yokes front and rear, its likely an older (pre-77) unit. I think they use the smaller 1310 joints (3-1/4" x 1-1/6")

Here's a couple of links to a Spicer size chart - including yoke numbers:
    page2

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it has a yoke front output it's an early 70's model. Later 70's on up had a flange front output. I have a SM 465/NP205 combo from a 76 which has the yoke front output. Installed in my truck is a SM 465/NP 205 combo from a 77 with a flange front output.

Rene

7. tys

tys Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies and help. I checked the tag and it is from a 1974. I will check those links and probably purchase the u-joints to check them out. I will take a tape measure to them first..

8. tys

tys Registered Member

Do I have to change the rear output yoke if I want to run a CV type driveshaft to the rear axle? If so, what do I replace it with, a flange type or another yoke type? I have a CV front shaft from a Cherokee that I'd like to use.......if possible.

9. tys

tys Registered Member

Well i went outside again and checked the XJ front d-shaft I have. I don't think i need to change yokes. The CV end that mounts to the t-case is threaded, whereas the t-case yoke is through hole. So, it looks as though if I get the right size/length bolts, it will bolt up (provided the universals are the same - according to the books, they're spoda be).

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A 78-79 Bronco uses a NP205 and a rear CV shaft. Worst case, you need to swap the 205 output shaft and yoke together. Best case, you can just get a new or used yoke. AFAIK, the Bronco uses a 1330 series joint.

It sure would be nice of the Jeep CV would bolt right on!

11. tys

tys Registered Member

Yea, it sure would be. I'll check it out tomorrow night. In the meantime, what's the difference between a CV style yoke and a non CV style yoke (the yoke that's on the t-case)? Visually I could not see a difference, but like I said, I didn't try to bolt them up to one another, so that process may hold the key. I checked the shaft and it is a CV style, with the pivot ball in the center. I'm just dying to get out there to inspect it!